Flora vs. Lilypad

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
d7x

Flora vs. Lilypad

Post by d7x »

I'm getting ready to build a wearable electronics project for an upcoming Maker Faire (my deadline is May 1) and am trying to decide whether to wait for the Flora or if I should proceed with what currently seems like the largest wearable electronics platform, the Lilypad. My understanding is that the Lilypad has the greatest support but my preference is to go with the Flora given my amazing experience with the adafruit community. Also, the level of technological excellence is amazing across the spectrum of products sold by adafruit. Long way around to say that I haven't dabbled in wearable electronics yet so I'd like to build my base of knowledge with a platform that I can stick with.

1) Are there some key Lilypad limitations that are overcome with the Flora?
2) Are there other considerations that I haven't expressed that make it a wise decision to wait until the end of March for the Flora?

Thanks

adafruit

Re: Flora vs. Lilypad

Post by adafruit »

d7x wrote:I'm getting ready to build a wearable electronics project for an upcoming Maker Faire (my deadline is May 1) and am trying to decide whether to wait for the Flora or if I should proceed with what currently seems like the largest wearable electronics platform, the Lilypad. My understanding is that the Lilypad has the greatest support but my preference is to go with the Flora given my amazing experience with the adafruit community. Also, the level of technological excellence is amazing across the spectrum of products sold by adafruit. Long way around to say that I haven't dabbled in wearable electronics yet so I'd like to build my base of knowledge with a platform that I can stick with. 1) Are there some key Lilypad limitations that are overcome with the Flora? 2) Are there other considerations that I haven't expressed that make it a wise decision to wait until the end of March for the Flora? Thanks
hiya!

thanks for the kind words!

we have a detailed outline of what the FLORA is here:
http://www.adafruit.com/products/659

we're currently in beta and we've not give an ETA so you should choose what's shipping now if you have a deadline.

cheers,
adafruit support

d7x

Post by d7x »

Do you need any more beta testers who might represent the novice category in wearable electronics? :wink:

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

d7x wrote:Do you need any more beta testers who might represent the novice category in wearable electronics? :wink:
not yet :)

d7x

Post by d7x »

The wearable electronics project I'm working on is going to have 66 Lilypad LEDs and I'm looking for a way to control them individually. I'm looking at using the MAX7219CNG LED Matrix/Digit Display Driver - MAX7219 but I've also heard that shift registers can do the same thing.

1) Are there any gotchas or things to watch out for in soldering the MAX7219CNG to a Lilypad proto board? The schematic seems to show 8 output pins that could easily be mapped to 8 pins on a protoboard that could use conductive thread.

2) Is the MAX7219 the best way to go (key design constraint is that the chip will need to go on clothes and be attached to a Lilypad) or are ship registers another good option?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”