How do I get a script to turn on a strobe light via USB

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
j666gak

How do I get a script to turn on a strobe light via USB

Post by j666gak »

Hello,

I am really at a loss how to do this so would appreciate any advice. I use Splunk and within it you can set for a script to run when an alert happens, so what I want to do is when an alert happens for a strobe light and a siren to sound.

I haven't got a clue what kit is needed or the spec to do this? I suspect it will be some kind of a USB relay and obviously a strobe light and siren. Not sure how it should be wired up, I guess mains power (240v) to the strobe/siren positive and the negative connections to the USB relay? Then the scripting is there any free/sample scripts anywhere that can be used?

Thanks for reading
Guy

Franklin97355

Re: How do I get a script to turn on a strobe light via USB

Post by Franklin97355 »

I use Splunk and within it you can set for a script to run when an alert happens, so what I want to do is when an alert happens for a strobe light and a siren to sound.
So, what code are tou using? How are you connecting things together? What Adafruit products do you think might accomplish your goal? What hardware are you trying to control (datasheets or links to the manuals)?

philba

Re: How do I get a script to turn on a strobe light via USB

Post by philba »

I believe j666gak doesn't have anything. What I think he wants is a USB device that controls a strobe light and siren. The device is controlled by sending commands like "Siren on", "Siren off", "Strobe on" and "Strobe off".

This is a pretty simple project once the strobe and siren components are figured out. If they are 240VAC devices (Europe, right?), then it's really simple: an arduino that controls 2 relays via serial commands. If either device needs a driver then it's only slightly less simple.

So, tell us about the siren and strobe you want to use.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”