Product ID#482: Waterproof Metal On/Off Switch with Green LED Ring - 16mm Green On/Off

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
perronpa

Product ID#482: Waterproof Metal On/Off Switch with Green LED Ring - 16mm Green On/Off

Post by perronpa »

Hi,
I have a technical question about this button. I just want to be sure I understand correctly how this button works. With all the different buttons available (momentary, On-Off, Off-(On), On-On, etc...) it can get confusing...

For the product ID#482 (Waterproof Metal On/Off Switch with Green LED Ring - 16mm Green On/Off), could you confirm me that the button works this way:
- When the button is not pushed, the contact poles are opened, so not signal pass between the 2 pins.
- When we push the button, the button stay pressed and keep the signal passing through the 2 pins during the time the button remain on that state.
- When we press it again, it return to normal position (not pressed) and the signal between the 2 pins are opened, so no signal pass and remain in that state.

Thank you for your time !

Product link: https://www.adafruit.com/products/482

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Product ID#482: Waterproof Metal On/Off Switch with Green LED Ring - 16mm Green On/Off

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That is correct :)

daffunn

Re: Product ID#482: Waterproof Metal On/Off Switch with Green LED Ring - 16mm Green On/Off

Post by daffunn »

I have a problem with this switch. I am trying to get it working with the printer of things tutorial. My problem is that as long as I press the button the arduino remains in power. When I release it than everything is off. I wired everything correctly. Please help :)

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Can you post some pictures of your assembly?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Are you sure you have the on/off switch and not the momentary one? What was the part number you ordered?

daffunn

Post by daffunn »

Oh no, I ordered the Pushbutton version :( If I only had known!
Okay but I have also difficulties to assemble this button? Is it like a pushbutton (http://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Pushbutton). What do I have to connect to each other?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

To use as a simple pushbutton as in the tutorial you linked, use the C1 (common) and NO1 (Normally open) connections. To illuminate the LED, use the + and - connections and connect it like a normal LED. There is a built-in resistor, so you don't need to add a resistor as long as you keep the voltage below 12v.

cxvjeff

Post by cxvjeff »

Is there any way to use this button as a momentary switch when fully depressed? When the button is fully depressed it clicks or locks into place thereby making it non-momentary. The button works great but with this setup I would have to explain how to properly use the button which seems like a silly thing to do. If there is not a method to make it momentary when fully depressed then maybe I'm simply using the wrong part for the job. Any other parts similar in style to this that would work as expected? Or any way to mod the internals of the button so it cannot lock into place?

Sorry to bring back such an old post but it holds most of the information I was looking for so thought I'd continue the thread.

adafruit_support_rick

We stock both on/off and momentary versions of the switch.

There are also versions with blue, red, and white LED colors

cxvjeff

Post by cxvjeff »

PERFECT! Thanks for the link! I must have order the ON/OFF the first go around.

adafruit_support_rick

An easy mistake to make. If you'd like, you can email [email protected] with a link to this thread, and request an exchange.

huiraym

Post by huiraym »

Does this switch work in north america (120V)? I got a food disposer that needs a wall switch. This will look nice on countertop for it if it works.

The food disposer uses 120 volts and Avg amp is 10.2Amps.
See specs http://www.insinkerator.com/en-us/House ... Excel.aspx

Can you confirm if this switch support appliance like this?

Thanks.

adafruit_support_rick

According to the product page, the switch is rated at 3A/250VDC. It isn't designed for AC, and it wouldn't handle 10A/120V anyway. Sorry. :(

adenkers

Post by adenkers »

Hello -

I am very new to Arduino, and I'm hoping someone can clear something up for me about this switch.

In one of the replies above, there is a great description of how to connect the LED and the primary button connections. What I'm confused about is the extra pin, the 'normally-closed' pin? What is its purpose? I accidentally used it instead, and it seemed to work, but dont know if it does something different ...
adafruit_support wrote:To use as a simple pushbutton as in the tutorial you linked, use the C1 (common) and NO1 (Normally open) connections. To illuminate the LED, use the + and - connections and connect it like a normal LED.
I've been a software developer for 15 years - so I feel comfortable with the programming aspects involved in making all of this work, but I'm just getting started when it comes to controlling hardware with the software I write. Very exiting though! :D

Any insight is appreciated.

adafruit_support_rick

That pin is the opposite of the "normally open" pin. So, it's really a two-position switch, instead of simply on/off. You could do something where the NO pin activates one section of a circuit, and the NC activates a different section. Instead of turning something on or off, the switch could toggle between two different active states.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”