Disability-adapted car hacking

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fs9

Disability-adapted car hacking

Post by fs9 »

Hi all,

First things first. I have ideas but almost no practical knowledge. That's what this post is for: asking anyone who can help to teach on how to implement the ideas on the next lines.

This is my scenario: I am married to a paraplegic BANNED and our car (a Chevrolet Zafira, same as Vauxhall 2005/2006 model) is fitted with some gear as a Bruno Curbsider wheelchair lift and a Guidosimplex brake/throttle lever. However, some things on the daily use are still impractical, and require quite some effort, such as having her mobile handy or the need to state she's entitled to the special parking spot. Due to human nature, people usually block them with a cone or a chain in my town, so it will be available to those who actually should park there.

As such, I thought of two hacks. A 5V power source embedded to the console and a lightbox fitted behind the accessibility sign sticker, both on the windshield and the rear glass, to make them more noticeable at night. And this being a BANNED's ride, it must be pretty, or at least not hideous.

EDIT: I just thought of using an EL white panel. That'd be neat and also less bulky.

I can build the box and use an original stock GM push button fitted to the console, but have got no idea on the electronic part. The stock button is a simple push type, attached to vehicular circuitry, such as the door lock servos, which means she would have to keep it pressed in order to keep the sign lit. Not good. I would like to get a "one touch on, one touch off" kind of thing, or, also, a timer circuit, that would light the sign up for, say, three minutes.

This, of course, would need power. As would the USB ports (or, directly, a 30 pin Apple connector, as she uses an iPhone. I even got a black cable to match the dashboard), so I thought of using a power source like this converter I found on Seeedstudio. I tripped on one step, though: how to limit current to each USB outlet and the sign backlight? I would like to have at least one port rated 5V @ 2A, and the others at 1A. And the circuitry must be kept slim and simple, as it will be embedded to the dashboard console.

So, the things I'm allegedly aware of are: a stable converter must be used to ensure quality power, almost everything can be done without a PCB circuit, and EM shielded cables are a wise choice. The things I need help with are: what should I use to limit current to the ports and feed the backlight, how to build the electronic part of the backlight (which resistors, kind of LEDs, the switcher/timer thing), recommended fuse ratings, and anything you can think of to make it feasible with simple parts, less prone to problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 8)

(I still intend to install a 24V XLR connector in the trunk to top up the chair's batteries, but this is a low priority subject. And should be a simple one, right?)

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Disability-adapted car hacking

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you're using the EL panel, you'll also need an inverter. This one:

http://www.adafruit.com/products/448

should fit the bill nicely, because it uses a car's default voltage (12v). It will handle all the current limiting and voltage stability on its own.

A circuit that comes on when you push the button, waits for a while, then turns off automatically is officially called a 'pulse extender' or a 'one-shot'. You can make one with an NE555 timer, a capacitor, and a couple of resistors. You'd use that to control an automotive relay that sends power to the inverter. To get the touch-on/touch-off/auto-off behavior, you'd need a more complicated circuit, but it's still doable.

To power an iPhone, you'd probably be better off using an off-the-shelf auto charger. It already has all the power conversion, smooting, current limiting, and so forth built in. For looks, you can get an auxiliary BANNED lighter socket, put that and the charger in a box, and mount the whole thing behind the dash.

fs9

Post by fs9 »

Thank you. I have been looking at this inverter and was just wondering if it would be able to power two panels, so I can just extend a cable to the rear glass, or if I should get one inverter for each panel.

I will read more about the pulse extender and try and get things here off the sketch. I remember using a 555 to make simple projects when I was a kid, didn't know it would apply to what I need here. :)

The only thing about using a stock charger is that it would be desirable to have 3 outlets, and that would leave me with at least two circuits. The socket won't be really needed, as I can take the charger apart and use proper direct connectors to power it. Building the regulator for a single 5V source and limiting current for each outlet couls be simpler, with less connections to the power bus. Also, a converter like the one I posted before is built inside a metal shell, which would provide better heat dispersion.

adafruit_support_mike

The thing about charging an iPhone is that you need a specific voltage on the Data line. If the device doesn't see that voltage, it won't accept the incoming charge. This page:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/mintyboost/icharge.html

shows how Ladyada herself worked through those issues for the MintyBoost.

WRT the pulse stretcher, pretty much every 555 datasheet has an example circuit along with the timing details.

fs9

Post by fs9 »

Ouch. I can deal with diodes and simple circuits, but this is definitely out of my league for now. The most elegant thing I can think for the USB outlets after reading Ladyada's article is to get a bunch of stock chargers off their cases, tidythem up together in an aluminum case (for heatsinking), have them share a fused 12V line and route cables from them to the desired locations for the USB outlets.

Ah, and yes, I did find an example schematic on a datasheet. Actually, I even stumbled upon a website full of schematics and a calculator for resistor values.

adafruit_support_mike

fs9 wrote:Ouch.
Yeah, that's about the usual response. People often use characters from the top of the keyboard, too. ;-)
fs9 wrote: The most elegant thing I can think for the USB outlets after reading Ladyada's article is to get a bunch of stock chargers off their cases, tidythem up together in an aluminum case (for heatsinking), have them share a fused 12V line and route cables from them to the desired locations for the USB outlets.
You might be able to to use a single charger and connect multiple cords to it. Your wife won't be charging more than one device at a time, will she?

If you just need multiple points of access for a single device, you can use one charger, cut the cord, and splice in multiple lines that run to the locations where you want access. That's a wiring job, not an electronics problem, and will save you the cost/hassle of trying to wrangle several chargers.
fs9 wrote:Ah, and yes, I did find an example schematic on a datasheet. Actually, I even stumbled upon a website full of schematics and a calculator for resistor values.
Good ol' Talking Electronics . . .

The writer is a little on the "don' need no dern booklarnin" side, but there are a lot of good projects there. If you dig through the index, you'll find a few PDF ebooks: "100 Transistor Circuits", "100 IC Circuits" etc, that will give you a starting point for many common jobs. They'll also give you a toehold on understanding what's happening under the hood of many common circuits.

Another of my favorite resources is here:

http://www.discovercircuits.com/list.htm

It's an EE's collection of reference links, and it is exhaustive. I hit it nine times out of ten when I'm doing research on some kind of circuit that's new to me, or when I want to see what other people have done with circuits I think I know.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”