Standalone LCD Labels - Any Suggestions

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
otto

Standalone LCD Labels - Any Suggestions

Post by otto »

Hi,

I would like to build (around 150 + ) digital labels, using an LCD 16x2 or even a 2.2" 18-bit color TFT LCD display with microSD card breakout - HX8340BN

These are things that I would like to achieve;

Be standalone
Run off Battery for minimum 5 hours
Preferably rechargeable
Compact, need to be placed on counters for customers to see
Be able to change what is displayed on the label, either wireless, RF, or via Card

It would be great to get some feedback, ideas and help with a project like this.

Regards

Otto

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Standalone LCD Labels - Any Suggestions

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

This is all possible - given a big enough battery. How frequently do they need to change content? RF uses a lot of power. Also, do you have any size constraints in mind?

otto

Post by otto »

Hi

Thanks for the reply.
I would like to keep the size around 4 inch wide 2 inch high and as thin as possible.
They need to be changed at least 3 times a day.

Paul

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are a few displays that will fit into the 2x4" face. A processor like the 32U4 breakout or the Teensy will be smaller than the display. A micro SD card reader is pretty small also, although updating 120 of them 3 times a day might get tedious.

A wireless solution like an XBee would add some bulk - both for the battery and the module. Some of the NFC/RFID experts may chime in with a more compact wireless solution.

Another thing to consider is to upload a bunch of labels at once via usb, then use something like a rotary encoder switch to efficiently select the one you want to display.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”