logger shield & geiger counter on a high altitude balloon

by sharpcoordinator on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:52 am

i am looking to wire a mightyohm geiger counter to the arduino logger shield so that i may log radiation counts on a high altitude balloon (HAB) up to 127,000 feet (37 km). I am looking for cabling instructions as well as an arduino sketch. Please help!
sharpcoordinator

Re: logger shield & geiger counter on a high altitude balloon

by adafruit_support_rick on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:28 pm

You might want to start by looking at the GPS logger example sketches. Both the Geiger counter and the GPS modules send periodic data over a serial connection. Logging Geiger counter data will therefore be a similar operation, and a similar-looking sketch.

The Geiger counter serial data lines are at 3V, so you will need a level-shifter to get them to the 5V levels the Arduino uses. You could use this level shifter chip, or this level shifter breakout board. You should be able to install either on the logger shield prototyping area.
Then, it's just a matter of connecting the Geiger counter serial data lines through the level shifter to a pair of Arduino digital pins (e.g., 2 and 3, as in the GPS sketch).
adafruit_support_rick

Re: logger shield & geiger counter on a high altitude balloon

by manis404 on Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:30 pm

If you need a more lightweight solution, you could connect your GM tube directly to the arduino with a just few additional parts. I had to design this circuit for a project similar to yours.

Check the schematics here:

http://theiopage.blogspot.nl/2012/09/si ... duino.html
manis404