Help with project parts

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adeering

Help with project parts

Post by adeering »

So starting the planning and prototyping phase of a new project. The needs of the project are a touch screen input that can control 10+ (upper limit undecided at the moment) liquid solenoid valves. My initial idea was to use a raspberry pi but with the limited availability and cost right now wanted to go with something else unless that changes soon

My question is suggestions and ways to control multiple solenoids and have touchscreen capability. Trying to keep the cost down as the cost of the solenoids is going to be expensive. Trying to decide what platform to use. I have some arduino experience and a lot of android experience.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Help with project parts

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Solenoid control is pretty simple. You just need a digital output pin per solenoid. This circuit will drive a relay or a solenoid.

Unless you need the processing power of something bigger, an Arduino with a touch shield should do it. You could also go with the Arduino ADK and use the screen on your Android.

adeering

Re: Help with project parts

Post by adeering »

Thanks ended up deciding to go with an android tablet for the interface and using pull solenoids to control the flow of the liquid. Using pull solenoids so that in the case of power loss the solenoids stay closed and dont open up and allow the flow of the liquid

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”