Wireless sensor advice

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
khooke

Wireless sensor advice

Post by khooke »

I'm thinking of building a project involving a number of wireless sensors, like temperature, moisture, and a central data collection device. So far I'm thinking for the remote wireless sensors an arduino with the wireless shield and an xbee, and then a raspberry pi with an xbee as the central collection device. I've plenty of experience setting up linux based devices and software, and have years of development experience, so the data collection and communication part I'm not too concerned with. I don't have much experience with electronics though, but I've soldered a few things together in the past, so following some project guidelines I think I can assemble the parts I need providing I can find instructions for each part of my project.

Do my rough ideas for the parts I need sound sensible, or are their some cheaper/simpler alternatives I should look at?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Wireless sensor advice

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

for the remote wireless sensors an arduino with the wireless shield and an xbee
XBees have analog & digital inputs too. For some sensors, an XBee is all that is needed. There is an excellent book on wireless sensor networks using XBees by Rob Faludi: http://www.adafruit.com/products/963

khooke

Re: Wireless sensor advice

Post by khooke »

Thanks, looks like all recommendations come back to that book so I'll pick up a copy.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”