Metal on/off button wiring

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Cmcigas

Metal on/off button wiring

Post by Cmcigas »

Ok so I have no clue what c1 no1 and nc1 mean so I need a little help.

I'm using the switch for my kc foglights. The wires that came with the lights are the supply which goes to a 12volt dc wire. A load wire which goes to the relay for the fogs. And the ground wire. If someone can help me out and tell me how to wire it to these new switches?

And if someone can also tell me how to wire the LEDs on the switch so that they always stay on (if that's possible) if not, at least to turn on when the switch powers the fogs on.

Hope someone can help thanks

adafruit

Re: Metal on/off button wiring

Post by adafruit »

C1 is COMMON
NO is NORMALLY OPEN to COMMON
NC is NORMALLY CLOSED to COMMON

connect your load between COMMON and either NO or NC. connect 12V to LED+ and ground to LED-

you may want to get an electrician to help with the wiring if that doesn't work!

Cmcigas

Post by Cmcigas »

adafruit wrote:C1 is COMMON

connect your load between COMMON and either NO or NC. connect 12V to LED+ and ground to LED-

you may want to get an electrician to help with the wiring if that doesn't work!
Ok cool so does that allow the red LED on the switch to light up too? Or is that different wiring thanks. And I read on the product page I needed a resistor for it? And is there no way for the led light to be lit up while switch is on and off?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The led wiring is separate from the switch wiring, so you can wire the led any way you want. Just be sure to use an appropriate resistor for the voltage. http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/LEDs.html

Cmcigas

Post by Cmcigas »

adafruit_support wrote:The led wiring is separate from the switch wiring, so you can wire the led any way you want. Just be sure to use an appropriate resistor for the voltage. http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/LEDs.html
So the 5 metal connectors on the bottom of the switch are all for the switch it self? Where are the LED connectors?

adafruit_support_bill

C1 is COMMON

The other two are the led connections.

Cmcigas

Post by Cmcigas »

adafruit_support wrote:C1 is COMMON

The other two are the led connections.
Ok so if I hook up a resistor from c1 to no1 and another resistor from c1 to nc1 will the led light work while the switch is on and off?

adafruit_support_bill

will the led light work while the switch is on and off?
Do you mean you want it on all the time? As posted earlier, the led wiring is separate from the switch wiring. If you want the led on all the time, just wire it to your power source (with appropriate resistor, of course.)

Cmcigas

Post by Cmcigas »

Ok thank you.. One last thing sorry.

Since I have 4 switches that I want running all time (while switch is on and off) I need to hook up the led wires to the fuse box so that the leds will turn off when the car is off. Since there's 4 switches and want them on all the time I need 8 wires, one to each NC and NO. Am I able to connect all 8 wires to one fuse? If I can what size fuse? 10, 20, higher lower? And I guessing 8 resistors for each wire too which I have. Thanks again sorry for all these questions, never did something like this before.

adafruit_support_bill

I need 8 wires, one to each NC and NO.
NC and NO are for the switch contacts. The LED connections are marked '+' and '-'. To have the leds on all the time, connect '+' to 12v and connect a resistor between the '-' and ground. The size of the resistor will depend on the color of the LEDs in the switches you bought.

The led current draw for all 4 switches will be < 100mA, so a 10A fuse should be more than enough.

Cmcigas

Post by Cmcigas »

adafruit_support wrote:
I need 8 wires, one to each NC and NO.
NC and NO are for the switch contacts. The LED connections are marked '+' and '-'. To have the leds on all the time, connect '+' to 12v and connect a resistor between the '-' and ground. The size of the resistor will depend on the color of the LEDs in the switches you bought.

The led current draw for all 4 switches will be < 100mA, so a 10A fuse should be more than enough.
Ok thanks now I understand everything sorry about the confusion with me thanks again

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”