Can someone help out a Marine?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
georgeioak

Re: Can someone help out a Marine?

Post by georgeioak »

Have you looked at Pixel Qi (http://pixelqi.com/our_screens)? There screens are designed for sunlight. I don't think adding any filter is going to help you with sunlight on a standard TFT. It's a "raw" LCD panel so the interface is LVDS so you'll need an interface board for that but I know of a few companies that I've used which make interface board for under $30.

tastewar

Post by tastewar »

The PixelQi is a good idea; don't know what the cost of the panel would be.

If I were you I'd *start* with the anti-glare/privacy filter on the current monitor. Relatively low cost, low risk, and even if it doesn't do the job, you'd likely be wanting it for the other solution, so nothing lost. Doesn't even need to be permanently mounted in any way, just situate your bike so that you're experiencing the worst conditions; apply the filter, see if it works well enough.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing!

sig0431

Post by sig0431 »

Man, i looked at thier website and i am really interested, but why is it that these companies never tell how much they go for. They have two 7in screens but you cant find a price anywhere. I am going to contact them tomorrow but i have the feeling they are going to tell me what many other companies so far have told me. Most develop these screens but they do not make them for video input, they are all developed and built for the tablet and cellphone market. But i am going to keep my fingers crossed.

Now in reference to the interface board, not even a clue what that means, how that helps, and if you mean it is something that i can add to the monitor from this site, or if it is something that would require a whole new build.

georgeioak

Post by georgeioak »

I think you have to buy through distribution but I've only dealt with them for datasheets and quotations on a past potential project. You might search eBay to see if anyone is selling their used ones.

These are what I call a raw panel which means the input is a LVDS signal so you can't directly connect a composite video signal. The board that I referred to will accept a video input (anything from HDMI down to composite (RCA Jack)) depending on which board you purchase.

There are 2 companies that I can recommend for the interface board. I buy direct but they also sell on eBay. One is Kevin from vslcd http://stores.ebay.com/chinatobby?_trks ... 7675.l2563. He can actually sell you a whole kit but he won't be able to help with the PixelQi. As far as I know, PixelQi is the only company making those types of displays.

Maria from njytouch http://stores.ebay.com/njytouch?_trksid=p2047675.l2563 is another source.

Kevin is more technical and can help a little more than njytouch.

If you need any help or have questions just let me know. I've done hundreds of these and each project is always a little different. What I typically do is make a mounting plate and the LCD mounts on the top side of the plate and the electronics mount on the back. You can then mount this plate into an enclosure which makes a nice clean custom look.

sig0431

Post by sig0431 »

George,
Thanks for all that information that is a huge help. I tired to contact you off this post so that people dont have to keep reading my posts but it does not seem to be possible.

So if i get you straight you think that if i contact Kevin, he maybe able to help with putting together all the parts that i need to make a this monitor for me?

georgeioak

Post by georgeioak »

Yes, Kevin for sure should have something for you. You might search for the PixelQi panel first though as it won't matter much if you have the electronics and no screen!

This won't be the cheapest solution but if you're looking for outdoor readability this is absolutely the way to go. I know I've seen the 10.1" screens for sale but that's probably too big for what you're after. The LVDS driver boards need a 12V input so you'll have to come up with a nice power solution to get clean power to drive the board. The board powers the LCD and it has a 5V switcher on it that you tap into if you need to power your processor board. I just did a project where I used one of his boards to take HDMI from a Raspberry Pi board and display it on a 17" panel. One 12V power supply and a few cables was all I needed to complete the job.

georgeioak

Post by georgeioak »

No, he's Chinese but his English is very good.

sig0431

Post by sig0431 »

thanks for all the advice, i am going to call Pixel Qi tomorrow and see what they say then if that does not work out i will email him. Now all that is left is finding a housing for this display. This is what i am searing for tonight. Thanks again to all of you, you have been a huge help.

sig0431

Post by sig0431 »

found the Pixel Qi 10.1 for sale here http://www.tincantools.com/product.php? ... 249&page=3

hopfully when i call them tomorrow the 7in screen will work for what i need and be cheaper!

georgeioak

Post by georgeioak »

I'm familiar with Tin Can Tools. I didn't see that he had the 7" screen. His input board doesn't accept composite video if I remember correctly. His LVDS board is designed for the BeagleBoard and PandaBoard which has parallel RGB outputs.

Here's a guy on eBay selling the 10.1" for $215 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pixel-Qi-10-1-T ... 27cc2f379f. Take that and the ~$30 board from Kevin and you'll be in business

sig0431

Post by sig0431 »

Found the 7in for $155 http://www.onlinecomponents.com/pixel-q ... p=43881528

we will have to see what the company says tomorrow but right now im looking at:

screen 155
board $30
case for display: ??
means to convert power: ??

in all this looks to end up in the $300 range. But i will keep you updated on what i figure out.

georgeioak

Post by georgeioak »

What's the voltage on your motorcycle? Sorry, I've never owned one so I don't know if it's 6V based or 12V based. In cars the voltage off of the battery can vary quite a bit, you might have to allow for anything from ~9V up to a little over 14V. With a little searching I'm sure you can find a decent price for the power board. Search for stuff like car computers.

sig0431

Post by sig0431 »

My BMW K1200R is 12v at the battery. I have a after market fuse panel that I have installed on the bike to connect my eletronics to. This gives em the ability to not have to find a relay for this monitor to turn on and off with the bike.

chuckz

Post by chuckz »

I was reading about one expoxy that was 10% to 20% iron so you might want to check the ingredients first because that kind can cause electrical interference. I don't want to steer you wrong.

I think this brand might be fine:

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/MG- ... kZO8Zms%3d

Source:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.p ... e-Bad-idea

georgeioak

Post by georgeioak »

• I looked at the spec of the PixelChi panel and I see 2 minor curveballs:
  • The LED Backlight requires 5V and typically they usually require 12V. This could actually turn out to be a good thing for you though. I think the only reason why the LVDS board requires a 12V input is for the LED backlight. IF this is the only place that 12V isused on the board (check with Kevin) then you can input almost any voltage between ~6V-23V because that is what the step-down switcher can handle. If I'm right then you won't need a power board and you can grab power directly from your battery.
  • The connector on the LVDS board for the backlight will only have 12V available so you'll have to power the LED backlight from a spare 5V pin on the board (where there is one).
  • The PixelChi board uses a 30-pin 0.5mm pitch FFC cable. The good news is that those are cheap. The bad news is that you'll need an adapter board to connect the FFC to the LVDS board. Kevin may have this or you can search for a FFC/FPC breakout board. If all else fails ping me as I may have some leftover from an old project.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”