Can someone help out a Marine?

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sig0431

Re: Can someone help out a Marine?

Post by sig0431 »

just wanted to update the forum encase anyone in the future may benefit from this, so I don't just want to disappear with out letting people know what i am working on.

I contacted Pixel Qi and talked to a Rep in GA about the screen set up. This conversation was actually very good and this is the first major company that I have talked to that actually helped a little. We talked about their 7in monitor and what it would take to make it work. He also gave me some insider info and I cant talk to much a about since I dont want to ever break someones trust. They are going to be releasing new display models in about the next 6 months. Their website will be updated as it develops, but we can expect to see the release of a 4in screen and another 2.8 or so for cell phone application. The 7in model is going for about $155 when only buying a few. He could not comment on the price for the 4in model, but since that is closer to the size that I am looking for, i think that I am going to wait for that to release. With taking into consideration of the cost difference between the current 10.1 and their 7in screen there is hope that the 4in may release for low 100. At the end of the conversation the Pixel Qi rep gave me a POC for a company called In Hand Electronics. They are a company that makes products like what i am looking for and uses the Pixel Qi screens. The guy i talked to there was very helpful and is actually located about 30 min from me in Maryland. He is working on some ideas and will be emailing them to me. They are going to work on making the whole display with boards, then i will just need to work on the display housing.

They told me to wait on the housing since i cant just go buy a 7in enclosure until we figure out how much room the boards will take up. I have found many thermoplastic companies around me so it should not be too hard to get something made.

As i mentioned before if you all dont mind i would like to continue to update this post in case this may benefit someone in the future. If anyone has any questions that i may be able to help out with please let me know. Big thanks to:
GeorgeIoak
Chuckz
Tastewar
adafruit_support

You all have been a huge help with this and I cant thank you enough. Who knows if this becomes something that other motorcyclist like i may be buying in bulk and if that happens you all will get one of these on me for sure for all your help. Thank again!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Thanks for the follow-up. It sounds like you are onto a good solution there. Let us know how it goes, and don't forget to post photos when you have something to show. :D

georgeioak

Post by georgeioak »

Glad you were able to get some information. I word to the wise, don't hold too much validity in the new product release date, those can tend to slip by many months and if they're saying 6 months now that could turn into 1 year. New product launches are also expensive for the initial parts. Before they released the 1280x800 10.1" I was quoted ~3X the cost of the 10.1"

sig0431

Post by sig0431 »

Just saw this new Linux OS tablet that is avail for pre-order for $110, what would it take, if possible to modify this to accept the input video from the rear view camera? I am assuming I would need soem sort of RCA to mini HDMI but that could be an issue since i am sure that the HDMI port on there is only an output. I would also need to find someone to program something for the tablet to open and view the camera. Just a thought.

http://pengpod.com/products/pengpod700

georgeioak

Post by georgeioak »

About the only I think you could get this to work would be to open it up and take the video camera they have and cross your fingers that it is installed with a plugable cable that you could try to hack and make longer. Some of the laptops that I've opened up actually use USB components inside (cameras, touch screen) but just with a small Hirose/JST type connector.

You're still going to have the problem of seeing the screen outside and on these low cost products the screens are usually not high quality to begin with.

The HDMI is definitely only an output.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”