RPI + LCD + Ruby (GPIO question)

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
voorTech

RPI + LCD + Ruby (GPIO question)

Post by voorTech »

Hello, obvious newbie here,

I've got my rpi working with an 16x2 lcd, using the Adafruit tutorial. It works with the Python code.

I want to achieve the same thing using Ruby. I already tracked down a library that allows me to
access the GPIO from Ruby - but then the questions start.

I also read through the tech docs on the display to get a better idea what commands is it expecting, but I'm pretty sure I'm lacking some very basic knowledge.

If anyone can point me to some documentation / tutorials / basic info, then that'll be much appreciated.

* First I have questions about the GPIO - I (think I) understand the basic concepts, from what I can tell they are basically just ports you turn off/on, but I want to read up on the specifics.
* Second question is about the display and how to send commands using the GPIO. I'm using a 4 bit command set, but it is not clear to me how if it is just a matter of setting the right pin, or if the display is expecting any other inputs.

Thanks,

Rob.

3d-print.com

Re: RPI + LCD + Ruby (GPIO question)

Post by 3d-print.com »

Dear Adafruit team,
My big congratulations to your Adafruit RGB Negative 16x2 LCD+Keypad Kit for Raspberry Pi development. In my eyes it is the best available for our purpose and hence to that I bought one for our current prototype development.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1110
We have developed a new high end desktop DLP printer and the plan was to integrate your interface in this application. We have serious commercial plans for this development and it will be launched on our recently launched webpage medio 2014. Your interface would be connected with a RasperryPi Rev2 in order to keep sales price low without compromising functionality.
Our programmer is BANNED of Ruby but not Python. As it seems so far you only offer Python code for your components. Is there any chance you could translate your interface code into Ruby in near future in order to make it more compatible to Ruby based projects. As it seems we are not the only ones running into this obstacle.
So far any display alternative seems like a second best solution to us but of course we are open minded for any of your proposals that make sense in a mass production.
Best regards,
Michael Lindemann Møller
http://www.3D-PRINT.com

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Python is the default language for the Raspberry Pi, and the Python versions of our libraries exist for compatibility with the bulk of the software written for that platform. There are thousands of programming languages out there, and we have to focus the effort we spend porting and maintaining code.

All our code is Open Source though, so you're free to use it as a starting point for your own Ruby libraries if you choose.

Agash

Post by Agash »

With a little bit of changing the libs from adafruit you could use this: http://rubypython.rubyforge.org/ to use the python libs in ruby :). But the best way still would be rewriting the hole lib in ruby, or just using python.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”