Adding Battery Pack to RC Car

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jrmn

Adding Battery Pack to RC Car

Post by jrmn »

I recently bought an old 1991 Tyco RC Fast Traxx car from eBay. I got a really good deal on the car because didn’t come with a battery pack and charger. I know it original came with a NiCd 9.6V 700mAh battery, going to replace it with 9.6V 1600mAh or 2000mAh Ni-MH battery pack.

I also have a Spy Gear TRAKR that takes six AA batteries. I would like to wire up the TRAKR to use the same battery pack that I am going to get for my Tyco Fast Traxx. I’m not too worried about opening the TRAKR because it’s well documented and I know Radio Shack sells the connector I need.

Is there anything that I sure be worried about and would using the 9.6V battery pack fry my TRAKR? Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Adding Battery Pack to RC Car

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

6x alkaline AAs will give you close to 9.6v when fresh. But a freshly charged 9.6v NiMH pack will be more like 11.2v. I don't know how tolerant the trakr is of overvoltage. But to be safe, you could always put a diode in line to drop the voltage a little.

jrmn

Post by jrmn »

That's what I was afraid of. What about a 3 Amp UBEC (I still need to read up on it)? I just read that's what most RC people use. Is there any way I can find out if the TRAKR has a voltage regulator built-in and how many amps the TRAKR draws?

adafruit_support_bill

A UBEC should work. I'd expect 3A is enough. Unless it is published somewhere, the best way to find out the actual current draw is to measure it. http://learn.adafruit.com/multimeters/current

jrmn

Post by jrmn »

Thanks for the link, I will read up on it tonight. This is what I do know, the H-bridge driver circuit is made up of B772 (lower row) and D882 (upper row) transistors with a 7805 voltage regulator (5V fixed) on one end.

adafruit_support_bill

7805's are good for up to 1A, but I suspect that is just for powering the logic. B772s and D882s are rated for up to 3A.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”