Portable Power for Camera

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
weirdcat

Portable Power for Camera

Post by weirdcat »

I am need of powering a DSLR for extended periods outdoors in the winter, so portability is critical.

I thought about an off-the-shelf inverter along with the factory AC power supply, but this is somewhat more money than I wanted to spend. And, the inverter and AC power supply are huge which sort of kills the portability.

I would like to utilize different, large capacity, batteries anywhere from a 12v motorcycle battery to just a bunch of stacked AA cells that I can throw under a coat sometimes. I am not sure how to regulate these sources for the camera.

The camera uses 7.4v batteries that I've seen variants ranging from 1900-2500mA, but I don't know how many amps the camera actually draws or requires for normal operation.

Is this really just a matter of slapping together an LM317 with a proper resistor for 7.4v and not worry about things like current draw from the camera? If not, what exactly do I need, and are there any kits known to exist for this purpose?

Thanks much.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Portable Power for Camera

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Check the current rating of the manufacturer's AC supply. You will want something that can match that or better. A DSLR can easily pull several amps for short periods during focus and image processing phases. I use a 3rd party AC supply for mine and it is rated for 8v @ 3A. I tried running it from a 1.5A supply once. It would power up, but would shut-down as soon as I tried to take a photo.

Most DSLRs these days use LiPo packs. A 2-cell LiPo battery or a 6-cell NiMH pack will put out the right voltage and should not require a regulator.

(Of course the manufacturer will say that any electrons that do not originate from an authentic manufacturer supplied power source will invalidate your warranty and may damage your camera). :wink:

weirdcat

Re: Portable Power for Camera

Post by weirdcat »

Many thanks for the information. It especially helped knowing what did not work for you the first time!

Using this, and after finally finding what I think is reputable specs on the AC power supply as you mentioned, this should get me started in the right direction.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”