Airflow controller

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dimbeault

Airflow controller

Post by dimbeault »

Hi, I'm building a airflow controller that will control the air flow of a wood stove. I have study the parts you have on your web site and come up with this list :
  • - Arduino Uno R3 (ID:50) - 30$
    - Arduino Ethernet shield R3 with micro SD connector (ID:201) - 45$
    - Thermocouple Type-K Glass Braid Insulated - K (ID:270) - 10$
    - Thermocouple Amplifier MAX31855 (ID:269) - 18$
    - 0.1uF ceramic capacitors (ID:753) - 2$
    - Micro Servo - High Torque Metal Gear (ID:1143) - 10$
    - Standard LCD 16x2 + extras - white on blue (ID:181) - 10$
    - Smoke Translucent Enclosure for Arduino - Electronics enclosure (ID:821) - 15$
    - 5V 2A switching power supply (ID:276) - 10$
:?: Now I need to know if something is missing and if they go together?

:?: Also, will the enclosure hold the Arduino with the Ethernet Shield and the Thermocouple Amplifier?

:?: I'm also looking for a capacitor for the Servo, do you have those on your web site?

Thanks! :D
Last edited by dimbeault on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Airflow controller

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Now I need to know if something is missing and if they go together
I don't see any fundamental incompatibilities in that list.
I'm also looking for a capacitor for the Servo, do you have those on your web site?
What do you need the capacitor for? Most servos do not require a capacitor to connect to an Arduino.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Now I need to know if something is missing
That really depends on how you plan to implement your system and what you want it to do (you don't say). Let us know a little more on what you want it to do and perhaps we can give you better advise.

dimbeault

Post by dimbeault »

adafruit_support wrote:What do you need the capacitor for? Most servos do not require a capacitor to connect to an Arduino.
The capacitor for the Servo is to regulate the voltage when it start. In a lesson it is explained that when a servo power up, it drain power that may provoque the Arduino to reset. http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ardu ... misbehaves

I understand that it's for when it's plugged on a USB port but I prefer to have one handy just in case.
Last edited by dimbeault on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dimbeault

Post by dimbeault »

franklin97355 wrote:Let us know a little more on what you want it to do and perhaps we can give you better advise.
The project consist of controlling the flow of air incoming into a wood stove.

The thermocouple will read the exiting air flow. The range is between 50 to 900 fahrenheith.

When the temperature is up to 250F the opening is fully opened. It gradually close up to 500F. When it's above 500F it must be fully closed.

That's the project!
Last edited by dimbeault on Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

If that is your project you don't need the ethernet shield or LCD but you know that.

adafruit_support_bill

The capacitor for the Servo is to regulate the voltage when it start. In a lesson it is explained that when a servo power up, it drain power that may provoque the Arduino to reset.
If it is just a single servo, something like 220uH or more rated for 6v or more should be more than adequate for the job. We don't have these in the store, but you should be able to find one at a local Radio Shack or from an online supplier.

zener

Post by zener »

You know there is a bimetallic spring that can do the whole job...

dimbeault

Post by dimbeault »

franklin97355 wrote:If that is your project you don't need the ethernet shield or LCD but you know that.
I know that the Ethernet Shield and the LCD is not required for the project, but the LCD can display me the actual temperature of the wood stove and the opening of the air flow.

The Ethernet Shield will allow me to see those data from upstair. I can also make a log form these data and see if more adjustment can be done. Combined with google chart this would look pretty sharp.

Thanks!

dimbeault

Post by dimbeault »

Zener wrote:You know there is a bimetallic spring that can do the whole job...
I did'nt know about bimetallic spring. But the incoming air and the exiting air are not near.

Also I'm setting alarms that will tell me if the wood stove is going too hot even with the air entry fully closed. I will also set an alarms for when its going cold for refilling.

The Arduino can also be programmed for profiles, like keeping the stove really hot for cold days, and so on...

Thanks for your insight!

dimbeault

Post by dimbeault »

adafruit_support wrote:something like 220µF or more rated for 6v or more should be more than adequate for the job. We don't have these in the store, but you should be able to find one at a local Radio Shack or from an online supplier.
I was wondering if you kept those. It's not really a problem. I'll find one. Do you plan on having those in the future?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

dimbeault wrote:
adafruit_support wrote:something like 220µF or more rated for 6v or more should be more than adequate for the job. We don't have these in the store, but you should be able to find one at a local Radio Shack or from an online supplier.
I was wondering if you kept those. It's not really a problem. I'll find one. Do you plan on having those in the future?
no plans yet, but we're looking in to it!

thanks,
adafruit support, phil

dimbeault

Post by dimbeault »

:?: Do you think that the enclosure will hold the Arduino with the Ethernet Shield, the Thermocouple Amplifier and the LCD display?

adafruit_support_bill

I have a couple of them with display, thermocouple and logger shields. Not sure about the Ethernet shield. The RJ connector may be too tall. You might consider the Arduino Uno Ethernet. It is pretty much equivalent to an UNO plus the shield (although it does not have a USB port so you need an FTDI cable to program it). http://www.adafruit.com/products/418

dimbeault

Post by dimbeault »

adafruit_support wrote:it does not have a USB port so you need an FTDI cable to program it
I will only need the cable http://www.adafruit.com/products/70 to program it? It sure will make my future buyout of Arduino Ethernet for more projects less expensive that way.

That a good advice that I will take.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”