Problems with Timesquare watch

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit

Re: Problems with Timesquare watch

Post by adafruit »

20% off for 5

techcamp

Post by techcamp »

We were able to get the boards unsoldered and re-soldered again. We only did it with two of the watches as it was extremely time consuming. Even after we re-soldered, the board will not work. We even replaced the battery to see if that was the problem.. We also have a watch that was put together properly the first time and is still not turning on.

I am attaching pictures for all three watches. The blue board is the one that was put together properly the first time and the two black boards are the ones that have been re-soldered.

If possible, I would like to request a refund for these three items.
Attachments
photo 2.JPG
photo 2.JPG (29.59 KiB) Viewed 234 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (36.91 KiB) Viewed 234 times
photo 1.JPG
photo 1.JPG (43.89 KiB) Viewed 234 times

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Two of the three appear to have assembly errors. On the blue board, the RTC chip has been installed backwards, as indicated by the pin 1 marker. On the center board, the crystal appears to be missing:

Please post a more detailed photograph of the third board. Perhaps we can see what's wrong with it
Attachments
assembly_errors.png
assembly_errors.png (509.81 KiB) Viewed 228 times

danielle

Post by danielle »

Student_GB.jpg
Student_GB.jpg (439.53 KiB) Viewed 188 times
I worked with a small group of high school students on this project. One of the watches doesn't keep time. We can set all the modes, but the time doesn't change. Any ideas? Below is a picture of the watch. The soldering isn't the best, but I can't identify any problems. Is it possible that this is a kit issue?

danielle

Post by danielle »

Student_HC2.jpg
Student_HC2.jpg (825.38 KiB) Viewed 188 times
Student_HC.jpg
Student_HC.jpg (731.78 KiB) Viewed 188 times
Same project, different student/issue. This watch has a row of pixels that doesn't appear to work. I'm posting pictures of the display and the back of the watch below. I recognize that this isn't the best soldering and the student seemed adverse to clipping pins for some reason. Still, I can't find any shorts or missed connections. Is this an assembly or a kit issue? Thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

A missing row of LEDs is almost certainly a soldering issue. Hard to know exactly which solder it is, but it will likely be one of the ones to the LED matrix. Reheat all of them to be sure.

Time not updating is a symptom of something wrong with the RTC chip (that's the small 8-pin chip). Possibly a bad solder. Possible a problem with the crystal - maybe a bad solder on that? (the crystal is the small silver can).

Really hard to say what the exact problem could be. Unfortunately, you just can't get at the solders for those components underneath the LED matrix. However, you can carefully add some solder to the pins where you can see them. That may fix the problem.

Be sure to heat both the pin and the pad when repairing all of these solder points.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”