Pogo Pin Receptacles

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wd5don

Pogo Pin Receptacles

Post by wd5don »

I just created our first test jig utilizing the P75-LM3 pogo pins and a "real" PCB. It worked out very well, but it seems that the PCB hole sizing is pretty critical for the pins if you want a proper fit. Also, I'm somewhat concerned about the production BANNED damaging the pins. :D

I notice the website mentions receptacles for the pins. Can you give me a lead on a part number and where to purchase? Would Adafruit consider stocking the receptacles as well?

Thanks,
Don

ericwertz

Re: Pogo Pin Receptacles

Post by ericwertz »

I've also been struggling with some test jig building issues myself. My "best" (cross-product of cost, time-to-done, tools required, etc.) was to take a headerless Metro board and just solder-in pogo pins instead of the headers. In my case getting the pogos soldered-in wasn't trivial because the holes in the Metro are 1mm and there's a huge amount of slop between the inside of the annular ring and the outside diameter of the pogos. Getting them all to stand up straight (enough) and be roughly the same height dragged me through a number of failed approaches after which I settled on what turned-out to be a doh!-but-working solution.

I'm thinking your concern about damage is similar to one of mine. Seems like a solution would might be to use another PCB of the same type that the pins are soldered into and use it to hold the pins 1/4" up above the lower board just for the purposes of ensuring that the pogos don't get sheared. Unfortunately, plated 0.9mm holes seem to be too snug to use, and plated 1.0mm holes too loose to hold the pins in place (1.0mm holes and epoxy or more solder might be an option). Alternatively, the guide board/plane could be made from a range of materials (not necessarily FR4) with 0.9mm bare holes to hold all the pins in place and drilled-out by hand. Not sure if 3D-printing such a plane would have sufficient tolerance or not.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Pogo Pin Receptacles

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The nominal diameter for the pins is 1.02mm, and you can get receptacles for them at Digikey:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/e ... geSize=500

Personally, I'd be tempted to head over to the lathe with a stick of 3/32" brazing rod and a 1mm drill.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”