Photography Power Supply

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
remononaz

Photography Power Supply

Post by remononaz »

I am a serious amateur photographer and am in the process of building an external power supply for my camera. This is a well documented project and uses a Traxxas 8.4v model car battery for the power source. I am also interested in adding an external power supply to my auxiliary flash unit. The flash, an Olympus FL36, uses two MiNH AA batteries. Since the Traxxas battery will have way more power than I really need for the camera, I'd like to use this to power the flash as well.

I found adafruit while looking for a DC stepdown voltage converter and the TSR12433 looks like it will do the job perfectly. My concerns are:

1. The MiNH batteries are 1.25v each and the flash manual lists MiNH as well as alkaline batteries. The alkaline batteries are 1.5v each. Will the 3.3v output of the TSR12433 be too high or is the extra 0.3v typically acceptable to these kind of devices?

2. I'm not an electrical engineer, am I on target here or way off base in some way that I don't understand because I'm a little ignorant of these things?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Photography Power Supply

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I don't know what your camera can tolerate, and I'm sure that the official position of Olympus is that anything other than an approved battery will void your warranty. But you could add a diode in line to drop the voltage a bit further.

remononaz

Post by remononaz »

I'm not worried about the camera as I know it can use an 8.4v battery and those are readily available. The flash does state that it can use a CR-V3 battery and those are rated at 3.7v.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The flash does state that it can use a CR-V3 battery and those are rated at 3.7v
Than 3.3v should not be a problem at all. Most 3.7v cells are closer to 4.2v when they are fresh.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”