coin cell battery safety

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
overout

coin cell battery safety

Post by overout »

So, I have two projects that are very simple, but I'm getting paranoid after reading various articles about battery safety.

First project: a 3V 2032 is powering five white LEDs in parallel, each having a 100K resistor.
Second project: a 3V 2032 is powering one amber and one red LED in parallel, each having a 100K resistor. Current seems to be 6mA.

Are these batteries in danger of exploding or doing other damage? I can't imagine that they are, but, as I said, I getting paranoid (and I'm the type of person who would wear suspenders and a belt together).

Thank you.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: coin cell battery safety

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Typical max discharge rate specs for CR2032 are about 3mA continuous, 15mA pulse. Does that mean it will explode at 6mA continuous? Probably not, but the effective mAh will be reduced. If the cell is getting uncomfortably hot, I'd be worried.

overout

Post by overout »

I've noticed no warmth from the coin cells at all. The resistors are 1/4 watt: might that be why no warmth, or am I just not leaving the circuit powered long enough? Is there anything I can add to the circuit to increase safety?

Thank you so much for replying.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

High drain-rates will decrease effective mAh of the cells, but if nothing is getting hot, then safety is not an issue.

zener

Post by zener »

100k or 100 ohm? Don't think it will work with 100k

lyndon

Post by lyndon »

Even then, I wouldn't be too worried. One of my "cautionary tales" happened early on my first job out of college at a tiny electronics manufacturer.

I was testing/repairing some real-time clock modules that had just been assembled and had removed the coin cells from the ones I couldn't fix. Not thinking, I put them all -- a few dozen -- into a big ziploc bag and placed it on the pickup table for restocking. Then about fifteen minutes later, our office manager picked up the bag and commented "Oh, this bag is nice and warm!" (it was rather cold outside).

My head snapped around when she said that because it had just hit me how stupid I was. Unfortunately, my boss was standing next to her as she said it and glanced down at the bag, then glared at me and stormed off into his office without saying a word.

So you're safe, just don't short the terminals together.

overout

Post by overout »

Thank you, all, for your replies: I really appreciate them!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”