Basic Subwoofer Circuit

by robodude666 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:31 pm

Hey Guys and Gals,

I recently found a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 subwoofer at a Good Will for $5, and figured why not!

The Subwoofer has a pre-amp DIN input that comes from the satellite speaker modules, has its own built-in amp and output for the speakers. I would like to run the subwoofer from my Yamaha HTR-6140 AV Receiver via the simple single RCA output. Looking online, you can find subwoofer plates for $60+ that would seem to fit the purpose, however I was wondering is there anything simpler than can be built myself?

According to Klipsch's datasheet, the subwoofer is rated for 50W with a peak of 130W. I'm guessing I'll be needing a Band-Pass filter to limit the source to ~31 Hz to ~200 Hz, though I'm guessing a low-pass would suffice, and an amp circuit. I haven't been doing any electronics, so I'm lost where to begin.

I don't need anything fancy; after all, it's only going to be running a $5 subwoofer I found at a thrift shop. Just want something that will work for a home theatre setup until I can afford (or my girlfriend lets me get) a nicer subwoofer.

Thanks,
-robodude666
robodude666