Peristaltic Pump Setup

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit_support_bill

Re: Peristaltic Pump Setup

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

@stocke - The roller head should be a friction fit on the shaft. Do the rollers move at all when the motor runs?

downeym

Post by downeym »

I was curious if anyone knew an approximate flow rate for water at 12V for this pump?

also, has anyone had any issues with leakage while the pump is stopped if the reservoir is located above the pump?

thanks for any info you can provide.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Flow rate: up to 100 mL/min

This pump is not specifically designed for having the reservoir above but it shouldn't leak any fluid

stocke

Post by stocke »

@stocke - The roller head should be a friction fit on the shaft. Do the rollers move at all when the motor runs?
nope, the rollers don't move at all ... I'm using motor shield, event when I crank up the speed, the shaft just spins, and the pollers don't move. It seems like it takes much more force to spin the rollers on the tube than the shaft can tolerate before it just spins. Is it possible you guys got a bad batch of these things?

adafruit_support_bill

That's odd. I've tested a few here with good results and we haven't had any other reports of failure. But if yours are malfunctioning as described, we'll be happy to replace them. Please contact [email protected] with a link to this thread to arrange for a replacement.

jbfarah9

Post by jbfarah9 »

Hi,

Can you tell me if this pump will run at 15V?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Can you tell me if this pump will run at 15V?
It is rated for 12v. Most DC motors will tolerate over-voltages of 25% for intermittent use. Heat buildup is the enemy and prolonged use at higher voltages will significantly reduce the lifetime of the motor.

dkossman

Post by dkossman »

I ordered and received one of these pumps 4 days ago and hooked it up to the hardware PWM output of my Raspberry Pi using an N-channel mosfet and a 12VDC supply. I also placed a diode across the motor as advised. It worked for a few days but yesterday the motor started to misbehave, it gradually got worse, and now it has completely stopped working - the motor doesn't turn any more, it just heats up - seems to be pretty much shorted out. I tried connecting it directly to the 12V supply and its the same problem - motor doesn't turn. I checked the DC supply, its fine. tried some tuner spray on the motor brushes, didn't help.

What is the process to get a replacement?

thanks

adafruit_support_bill

@ dkossman - If you contact [email protected], with a link to this thread we can send you a replacement.

derekpdx

Post by derekpdx »

So I have two pumps set up on an Arduino Mega just as its described here: http://fishtankprojects.com/diy-aquariu ... pumps.html

The pumps are running through a MOSFET to PWM pins 10 and 13, but only pin 10 works properly. Pin 13 will always run slowly, even if I set the code to something simple like:

Code: Select all

int motorPin1 = 13;
int motorPin2 = 10;

void setup() {
  pinMode(motorPin1, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(motorPin2, OUTPUT);

analogWrite(motorPin1, 0);
  analogWrite(motorPin2, 0);
}

void loop() {
  analogWrite(motorPin1, 0);
  analogWrite(motorPin2, 0);
}

motorPin1 will always run at a slow speed. It will ramp up speed if I set the PWM pin higher, but will always run even if set to 0. Its not just the pump, if I reverse the wires so the the other pump is on pin 13, the other pump will start acting up. There must be something funky going on with the connection. Any clues to help me know where to look?

adafruit_support_bill

Measure the output of pin 13. (Better yet, if you have access to an oscilloscope, check it with that).

kols

Post by kols »

adafruit_support_bill wrote:@stocke - The roller head should be a friction fit on the shaft. Do the rollers move at all when the motor runs?
Why should it be a friction fit? Wouldn't the pump be able to move much higher volumes if it was connected to the roller-disk?

Also, the specifications says it's a 300mA motor current, but a sticker on mine says 100mA. What is correct?

Just tested and mine does only 50mL/min :( (connected to a 11.1V lipoly battery - might go faster when I get a power supply)

adafruit_support_bill

Wouldn't the pump be able to move much higher volumes if it was connected to the roller-disk?
The roller disk is connected - by a friction fit on the shaft.
a sticker on mine says 100mA. What is correct?
The sample I have here just says "DC 12V 5000rpm" and a bar-code. It measures approximately 8.5ohms between the terminals. Hooked up to my bench supply, it is drawing 298mA at 12v.

billsmith

Post by billsmith »

DerekPDX wrote:So I have two pumps set up on an Arduino Mega just as its described here: http://fishtankprojects.com/diy-aquariu ... pumps.html
adafruit_support_bill wrote:Here is a wiring diagram - including a kickback diode:
Just wondering what the proper way of hooking up the diodes are. I noticed in your post Bill you show them hooked directly between the negative and positive on the motor itself, but in the project linked by DerekPDX it appears the diode is placed on the board between the mosfet drain and source pins ( could be wrong but it just looks that way from the picture of the top side of the board. Is the proper way of doing it on the motor itself as per Bills to make sure everything is protected in a setup like that project or are there multiple points that should be considered to ensure no kickback ect?

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Just wondering what the proper way of hooking up the diodes are.
There is an interesting thread on the topic here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=89484.0

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”