The new Raspberry Pi B Model B+ is here - Pick one up in the store and check our detailed guide!

LED Pushbutton wiring

by sbrooke on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:00 am

I got some of the metal waterproof switches and the tails here: http://adafruit.com/products/1152

I'm planning on using these in a car and I'm concerned about vibration and environment. The crimped connectors on the tails have a little bit of grab but not a lot. I think it's likely they'd work loose over time.

I did a test, driving an automotive relay (87a) using some Cat5 wire and it seemed to work fine. What I did was take a pair and twist it together on each end to give it a little more copper. I had this hooked through the hole in the switch referenced above. I know I can run some solder on there and then some heatshrink and it'll probably be ok.

My concern is the Cat5 solid wire is a little brittle in short streches like that. I'm concerned it's going to snap off over time due to the environment and vibration.

Anyone have a recommendation for a better way to wire this?
sbrooke

Re: LED Pushbutton wiring

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:46 am

You might be able to tighten the crimped connectors a bit by squeezing them with pliers. If you do go to soldered connections, I'd recommend going with stranded wire rather than the Cat5.
adafruit_support_bill