LED Pushbutton wiring

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sbrooke

LED Pushbutton wiring

Post by sbrooke »

I got some of the metal waterproof switches and the tails here: http://adafruit.com/products/1152

I'm planning on using these in a car and I'm concerned about vibration and environment. The crimped connectors on the tails have a little bit of grab but not a lot. I think it's likely they'd work loose over time.

I did a test, driving an automotive relay (87a) using some Cat5 wire and it seemed to work fine. What I did was take a pair and twist it together on each end to give it a little more copper. I had this hooked through the hole in the switch referenced above. I know I can run some solder on there and then some heatshrink and it'll probably be ok.

My concern is the Cat5 solid wire is a little brittle in short streches like that. I'm concerned it's going to snap off over time due to the environment and vibration.

Anyone have a recommendation for a better way to wire this?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: LED Pushbutton wiring

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

You might be able to tighten the crimped connectors a bit by squeezing them with pliers. If you do go to soldered connections, I'd recommend going with stranded wire rather than the Cat5.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”