Help Designing Multiple layer POV Display

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
MrAmos

Help Designing Multiple layer POV Display

Post by MrAmos »

Hey everyone, I'm a new member to this site looking for help designing a project. Hopefully this post is in the right forum, If not please advise where it should be.

The aim of the project is to create a multiple layer, full color POV display with a high resolution capable of transmitting the data wirelessly. I've made single layer POV displays before using arduino so have a small bit of experience with this.

Some things unique to this project are as follows,

*the RGB led pixels will be located and triggered to light up in sequence of a square grid not a circular one. This is to eliminate uneven pixel density and the bright spot in the center of most spinning POV displays.
*the Pixels will be between 1.5 and 3.2mm as opposed to the larger 5mm pixels. This means using SMD led's. (particular led's not chosen yet)
*Their will be multiple layers "stacked' on one another to physically give the display 3 dimensions.
*Wireless data transfer (pretty self explanatory)
* And the hardest part yet....Pixels won't be located in straight lines either vertically or horizontally. Instead they will follow the pattern of an Involute curve. This will allow the inner pixels to light before the outer pixels allowing light to reach your eye un-interupted by the other LED's being in the way when viewing from the side. (Think about the bike wheel POV display and try to pick out the inner led's from the outer led's when viewing from the side.) This means having the display spinning horizontally with multiple layers stacked on one another. This also means offsetting the stacked involute circles by one led placement to allow the same clarity from the top. When spinning, some inner led's may create a small cube with a gap separating it from a larger cube that its nestled inside. This unique pixel arrangement will allow you to see this clearly from all angles.

That pretty much sums it up, but what I need help with is where to start as far as microchips, shift registers, programming, etc. When building the smaller single line display their was a wealth of info, but really nothing out their to bring that kind of project to this scale.

Any suggestions on what boards, clocks, chips, etc. to use would be helpful..Arduino? Raspberry pi? mini Linux board?
PS, before you ask, I don't have a specific goal on refresh rate or final RPM yet so its still very open. Thanks in advance for your help and I'm looking forward to everyones input!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”