Rs485 support

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ekeyUSA

Rs485 support

Post by ekeyUSA »

I am looking for single-board computer with Rs485, relay, network capability...any suggestions?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Rs485 support

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

(Moved from Test Message Forum to General Project Help).

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I am looking for single-board computer with Rs485, relay, network capability...any suggestions?
How about an Arduino and a couple of shields? Or a pi and a couple of plates (or a BeagleBoneBlack and a couple of capes) Any of those would work although I'm not sure an Arduino is onsidered a computer

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you want network support, you'll probably need to use something with a full-scale OS: the RasPi, Beaglebone, or Arduino Yun.

I don't think any of those support RS485 directly, though they're all built for expansion with plates, capes, or shields respectively. WRT the word 'relay', do you mean the electromagnetic switching device or 'taking input data on one channel and passing it to another channel'? The term is a bit overloaded.

RS485 tends to be an industrial protocol, and your feature list sounds like a PLC. Be aware that our hardware is made for hobbyist use, and isn't certified for anything-critical applications. For that, you'd need to go with Allen-Bradley or the other vendors whose reputations revolve around bet-your-life-on-it reliability.

parsival.mw

Post by parsival.mw »

If you do go industrial, Red Lion Controls has a couple of lower cost systems with built in RS485, RS232, Ethernet, web server and various input/output expansion modules including relay control. Lower cost on the industrial side is far more expensive than the hobby side.

Renate

Post by Renate »

Would a serial server do the job?
If you are only trying to send data over an ethernet to a serial port that would do.
You could spend $180 on a Digiboard or $22 on this kind:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RS232-RS485-to- ... 4ac9be6b74

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”