Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler.

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Lsorrie

Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler.

Post by Lsorrie »

Hi guys!

So I'm trying to create a cooling ankle support for my final year project at uni and was thinking of purchasing the Thermoelectric cooler/Peltier?

I have no knowledge about this stuff whatsoever so was wondering if anyone could offer some help?! Please!

I've realised that for the cooler to work I obviously need a heat sink to take away the heat... but they all seem to be quite bulky? Is there anything I can use that wouldnt incolve a fan, that would be slim enough to fit into an ankle brace/support/strap??

The smaller the better!! Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers, LSor

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Peltier Thermoelectric Cooler.

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The problem is finding a way to efficiently transfer the heat from the peltier device to the air. Air is not particularly good at conducting heat, so you need to: increase the surface area (heat sink), increase the air-flow (fans), or both.

Water (or other fluid) can transfer the heat from the device much quicker. But then what do you do with it? Unless you are attached to a source of cool running water, you need to dissipate that heat into the air. Once again, you are faced with the need for increased surface area and/or air flow.

gordiegii

Post by gordiegii »

Could you make an aluminum plate that would cover the entire surface of the brace? That might be sufficient surface area to eliminate the need for a fan.

You might need to add some heat pipes to distribute the heat more evenly and you couldn't cover it with pants.

How much wattage are you expecting to need to remove from the ankle?
If you are concerned about the bulk of the heatsink aren't you going to have a problem with the bulk of the batteries?

Gordie.

brookeheaton

Post by brookeheaton »

I'm wondering if you could use medical gel-packs that are already used to cool injuries and place this under the cool plate. There are also some thermal materials, like thermal blankets, that might help to dispel the heat from the ankle without being cumbersome, but that will make the leg quite warm :) I think this is a cool idea! But how will you power this? You could maybe use a battery pack, but it will suck the energy quickly!

http://images.allegrocentral.com/B1/0A/ ... MAGE_2.jpg

gordiegii

Post by gordiegii »

I know it's been a while, but how about a couple tubes circulating water to carry the heat up the leg to a fanny pack or back pack that could contain some or all of; a battery, a heat sink, a fan, a peltier device and, of course, a water pump.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”