Feedback on LED lighting project

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
librarigeek

Feedback on LED lighting project

Post by librarigeek »

Hello all,

First, some background:

I'm just getting into electronics and have begun working on a project to put RGB LED strips under my cabinets as my counters are poorly lit. I've gotten my brain wrapped around the project as I planned it. Specifically:

LED strips controlled by an ATMega328, full (or whatever I define as full-enough) power when a light switch is turned on, and a dimmer setting when triggered by a PIR to use as a nightlight.

Project creep has set in, and at my husband's suggestion, I'm looking at how to easily customize the nightlight colors/color temperature on the fly. I know I can solder on some pins to reprogram the ATMega as needed without removing it from the socket, but I've become a bit more ambitious and would like to create some kind of control panel.

The simpler way is probably to go with a set of 3 potentiometers to set relative brightness of the 3 colors, but why not go fancy?

So here's my question: What I'd really like to do is use a TFT touch screen to show 3 sliders for R, G, and B, with real-time feedback from the LEDs. Perhaps even allow for multiple settings that alternate (I'm thinking alternating R and G for the Christmas season, etc). I figure I'd need an Arduino with a TFT touch shield to create the panel. Obviously, the programming requirements go up if I go this route. I'm an okay hobbyist programmer, but am I looking at a jump in complexity that significantly changes the scope of the project? This is my first time working with Arduino (or micro-controllers at all, for that matter). Can the Arduino handle this, or do I need to consider something more robust as a controller? It's probably all overkill, but I'm a learn-by-doing person, so I want a project that will teach me more than I already know.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Huge pitfalls to avoid? Should I consider myself lucky for getting the LEDs to come on at all and forget all of this custom color nonsense?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

(Edited subject to be more useful)

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Feedback on LED lighting project

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

An arduino can certainly handle this. We have an on-off tutorial for the 2.8" touch screen that should give you a bit of s start towards implementing sliders. We also have plenty of tutorials on RGB LEDs.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”