Making my own electronic lock - Anyone know where to find an

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jhyland87

Making my own electronic lock - Anyone know where to find an

Post by jhyland87 »

Im starting my own project for a home automation system. The first part will be the front door lock(s). I live in an apartment, so the front desk requires a key to be able to get in. The Lock-style Solenoid found in the products here make it somewhat straight forward already, ill probably end up mixing in bluetooth as well, but I wanted to make it so a key would work on the same lock as well.

So down to the question - Anyone know of a door lock cylinder that takes an actual key? All it really needs to do is if the key rotates the cylinder, then complete the circuit, nothing too crazy.

I did some Googling, but my Google-fu might be off tonight, so if anyone has seen something like this, let me know!

P.S. If this is the wrong forum section to post it in, I apologize.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Making my own electronic lock - Anyone know where to fin

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

jhyland87 wrote:Anyone know of a door lock cylinder that takes an actual key?
The answer to the most straightforward meaning of that question is, "almost all of them." I can't help thinking you meant something with a less obvious answer though.

jhyland87

Post by jhyland87 »

I mean an electric one, that also works as a standard key/lock

I was trying to find a way to edit it to add that, but then I thought it was pointless, as its obvious I was asking for a setup that was electric..

tastewar

Post by tastewar »

On the off chance you're not aware of the possibility, you should consider looking into an "electric strike" which allows you to open the door via electricity, but maintain the traditional key as well. May or may not be easy to retrofit, depending on the existing construction.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Electric strikes would be the way to go. They will work via key in the event of a power failure too. These are pretty easy to find on-line. They do require some modification of the door jamb (a larger mortise with a cutout on the front), so you would need to clear it with the management.

jhyland87

Post by jhyland87 »

Nice. That looks like it would work when I dont mind the changes to the door/frame being permanent, but something tells me that my apartment might throw a fit when I make changes to that extent :-\

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”