Simple RF 315 issues

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Gloveside45

Simple RF 315 issues

Post by Gloveside45 »

Hi there, I just purchased two Simple RF 315 Monetary boards and two key fobs (2-ch, 1-ch transmitter. I'm using a standard breadboard and my power source is a 6v battery. First thing I noticed when I used my volt meter to test the data pin outputs was that the 1-ch keyfob turns D2 high - why not D0??? The two channel turns D2 & D3 high - again why not D0 & D1? Design flaw??? Ok so this is the least of my concerns.

The real issue I have is that neither transmitter/receiver combination produces the expected result when an LED and 100R resistor is used. When I press the button, the Led flickers and then goes off. I expect the LED should light up and stay on when I hold the button - as the video demonstrates, but this does not happen.

I also tested using a mosfet to control a motor with a rectifier. The motor chirps for a fraction of a second but does not turn on.

The distance between receiver and transmitter is < 1 foot. I move the transmitter so that its nearly touching the board and the chirping increases but still nowhere near turning on the motor to make it usefull. The motor is a 3-5v motor.

Do i have a bad transmitter/receiver????

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Simple RF 315 issues

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Normal behavior with these is a semi-continuous signal while the transmitter key is pressed. (It will flicker off occasionally).
Have you tried both transmitters and both receivers? Do they all act the same way?

Gloveside45

Post by Gloveside45 »

Bill,

Yes I've tried all combinations of transmitter and receivers and still the same result. I decided to open up the transmitter last night and replace the batteries and that seemed to allow the transmitter to communicate a little better with the receiver but still nothing like what's in the demonstration video. Compared to the girl with the blue fingernails my LED is dimmer and turns off a lot quicker.

I also performed another test. I took the transmitter and the antenna coming off of the receiver and pretty much press them together and the LED lit up and stayed on as well the Motors spun at full speed. I seriously think there is a communication problem between the transmitters and the receivers. I also tested this in an environment that does not have Wi-Fi or other RF signal interference, so I'm ruling that out as a potential cause.

adafruit_support_bill

I also performed another test. I took the transmitter and the antenna coming off of the receiver and pretty much press them together and the LED lit up and stayed on as well the Motors spun at full speed. I seriously think there is a communication problem between the transmitters and the receivers. I also tested this in an environment that does not have Wi-Fi or other RF signal interference, so I'm ruling that out as a potential cause.
Yes, it does sound like signal problem. Do you have the receiver antenna unfurled? It should be stretched out to full length. And the receiver battery - is that fresh too?

Gloveside45

Post by Gloveside45 »

Yes, I unfurled the wire completely. And yes the battery on both the Transmitter and Receiver are brand new. Is there a mAh requirement or current requirement for the board? Do you have the schematic on the board? I only see the datasheet on the PT2272.

Worse case I need these replaced ASAP as the proto I'm working on needs to be completed by next week and this is the only weak link in the chain right now.

adafruit_support_bill

The manufacturer does not provide a schematic or detailed specs for these. If you contact [email protected] with a link to this thread we can replace them for you.

Gloveside45

Post by Gloveside45 »

Bill I've emailed support several times and I get no response. Please provide me with a contact number or another way to get support to respond to this request. My product is still broken.

adafruit_support_bill

They typically respond immediately. I will look into what happened to your email messages.

Gloveside45

Post by Gloveside45 »

Bill I still have not seen a reply I'm getting very frustrated now because I have these devices that don't work and you guys aren't helping me replace them! What kind of support is this???

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

we do not see a message from you please try again ([email protected]) if you're using hotmail make sure to check your spam folder for any replies.

thanks,
adafruit support

Gloveside45

Post by Gloveside45 »

Why would I have to check my spam folder if you don't see an email from me, that doesn't make any sense?

I just resent the email forwarding you the first one i sent in April. If You don't get it I suggest you check your spam folder. Not coming from Hotmail it's coming from Gmail.

adafruit_support_bill

Why would I have to check my spam folder if you don't see an email from me, that doesn't make any sense?
Your registered email account is from hotmail. We do not see any mail from your registered account.
Not coming from Hotmail it's coming from Gmail.
That must be why we don't see any email from your registered account.

Gloveside45

Post by Gloveside45 »

Fair enough. Support just emailed me.

Gloveside45

Post by Gloveside45 »

Bill,

I still have the issue with the new devices. Please see the following video I made detailing the issue:
http://youtu.be/GQgbei6J4kQ

This appears to be a design issue. The LED remains solid once the Tx and Rx make link, once moved away it stays solid, but if I try to make link from further than 6" away the LED only blinks (Should be solid). It's strange because once the LED is solid I can move the TX up to 15' away before its blinks. If I click to button again within 10' it blinks, but then move to within 2" and it goes solid. I can then walk 15' away before it goes from solid to blinking.

adafruit_support_bill

I'm on the road right now and don't have a strong enough signal to view the video. Support says they have approved a refund for you.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”