Touch screen Pi time-lapse Controller problems

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cxc21

Touch screen Pi time-lapse Controller problems

Post by cxc21 »

The instructions are missing critical parts, e.g which PI GPIO pin to connect to the motor shield etc.
the software installation only work up to the setup of the Adafruit PiTFT. Installed phyhon-devand python-setuptools.
And that is how far it goes.

wiring PI setup and WiringPI2-Phyton wrapper don't work as outlined in the manual.

git clone git://git.drogon.net/wiringPi

fatal: could not create work tree dir 'wiringPi'. : Permission denied

ran sudo git clone git://git.drogon.net/wiringP

error: cannot open .git/FETCH_HEAD: Permission denied

Assembler message Fatal error can't create wiringPi.o Permission denied

Make failed.

cxc21

Re: Touch screen Pi time-lapse Controller problems

Post by cxc21 »

Worked it out connecting through console cable not vnc connection

There is a mistake in the Wiring Pi setup Copy codes

wget https://github.com/climberhunt/LapsePiT ... master.zip
unzip LapsePiTouch-master.zip

it should be
wget https://github.com/climberhunt/LapsePiT ... master.zip
unzip master.zip

The downloaded zip is named master not LapsePiTouch-master

All is well on a rainy sunday afternoon...

cxc21

Post by cxc21 »

I hope some else found out about the wiring of the npn transistors and resistors and which pin to connect to the motor drive look at the other David hunt posts, but no info either on the touch screen version looks like pin 17 is shutter, pin 18 motor in one direction on a older version of timelapse controller. Does one need a npn transistor for each pin out on pi?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The tutorial doesn't give much detail about the motor controller, probably because there are so many options.

Take a look at these tutorials in the Learning System on general motor control using a RasPi:

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ras ... a-dc-motor
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-ra ... per-motors

cxc21

Post by cxc21 »

Yes I did , but really doesn't help. The controller doesn't work with the L 239d driver either. It worked somehow once or twice with the Ryanteck Raspberry Pi motor Controller board (pulse and interval) but forward and backward wouldn't work. No clue how one would trigger the shutter. Unless a complete pin out and overview schematic is added to the learn document I would advise everyone trying to build one of these to wait unless you are able to re do the python scripts yourself. This way the learn document looks good, but no one can get this to work without more specific insights. this need amore analysis.

cxc21

Post by cxc21 »

I wonder if anyone build one of these successfully and whether adafruit tests the projects that go up in the learning page?

Without knowing the wiring and a complete schematic it is impossible to troubleshoot this. If I don't know how to connect the hardware correctly I can't even figure whether the software side works or whether my driver chips are busted. Should not be complicated only 2 pins Pin 17 and 18 are used on the PI I guess. Still think there must be a software problem but I am completely stuck with this. Looked wide and far only found that David Hunt doesn't want to show the wiring since it is too chaotic?????

adafruit_support_mike

Let me pass this along to the people who manage the Learning System. They might have more information.

cxc21

Post by cxc21 »

Thanks a bunch

Dave_Hunt

Post by Dave_Hunt »

In the lapse.py python script, there is a section called "Global stuff", in which the pins are defined. These are there for you to change yourself depending on how you wire up the Raspberry Pi to the motor controller. In my version, I used Pins 18 and 27 for the motor (motorpinA and motorpinB), which went to the input A+ and A- on the Motor controller (plus GND to GND of course), so 3 wires for the motor controller, GND, A+ and A-.
The only pins the need a transistor is the shutter pin. If you extend the project to use a focus pin as well, you would also need a transistor there as well, but if you're just using the shutter pin, then on transistor is all you need.

Attached is an example of a camera driver circuit, with pins from the Pi, and to the camera. I haven't done the same for the Motor driver, as the pins on it should be all clearly marked on your particular version. Just hook up A+ and A- to Pins 18 and 27.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Dave.
Attachments
LapsePi.jpg
LapsePi.jpg (90.49 KiB) Viewed 1184 times

cxc21

Post by cxc21 »

Thank you so much that really helps. I look at the script. I am waiting for a new PI since mine had a faulty GPIO or it fried when the L239d failed while I was trying to work this out.

Cheers

cxc21

Post by cxc21 »

Just to clarify since the Pi only has 26 pins. You meant pin 21 which is labelled 21/27 on the cobbler board?

cxc21

Post by cxc21 »

Support asked me to post a summary here to allow determination whether a replacement is needed.

I originally tried to build the timelapse controller from David Hunt with a L239D driver.

https://learn.adafruit.com/touchscreen- ... controller

The original description doesn't detail the pins used and does not have a complete schematic about the wiring. Since the lack of description I used the

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ras ... a-dc-motor lesson to sort it out. Wired things up as described, and could drive the motor a few times in one direction.
Than the PI stopped working, doesn't boot and the chips just heat up until I cut the power. Nothing smoked though. L239D is also shot.

David Hunt answered and clarified the pins he used. Still confused on pin 27 that he mentioned, since the Pi only has 26. I guess he means 21.
Paint 1.jpg
Paint 1.jpg (821.21 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
Paint 2.jpg
Paint 2.jpg (784.09 KiB) Viewed 1155 times

cxc21

Post by cxc21 »

I think one problem with the timelapse control project is to power the Pi through the GPIO directly circumventing the build in protection. That probably killed the Pi in this case when the L239D driver failed? It is probably better to go through the miniUSB port to power the Pi and a separate line to power the motor control.

cxc21

Post by cxc21 »

Alternatively, powering the pi through a console cable from an usb port as in
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruits-ra ... sole-cable

that I did in this case may have let to the early demise of the Pi. The Rasberry Pi is and 3.3 volt not 5 volt device.

adafruit_support_mike

You're correct that GPIO 21 and GPIO 27 refer to the same pin. Rev1 RasPis connected that header pin to pin 21 on the microprocessor, but rev2 RasPis have it connected to pin 27.

The microcprocessor is a 3.3v device, but the RasPi wants a 5v supply.. it can't run properly if the supply voltage goes below about 4.7v. I power RasPis through a console cable regularly.

You're correct that supplying power through the GPIO header bypasses the RasPi's protection hardware, so you need to make sure the power supply you use provides well-regulated power.

The photos above don't show any physical damage to the RasPi, but they also don't show us the connections that might have caused the problem. Could you post a photo showing how you had things wired up when the RasPi stopped working please?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”