Pianobar TLS/install/compile issues

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
idyll23

Pianobar TLS/install/compile issues

Post by idyll23 »

I've been fighting with my install of pianobar since I received a TLS Read error/handshake error (depending on how I approach it) a couple of weeks ago. I've added a script to check and update TLS to the latest version for handshake, but it still doesn't function correctly. I removed (apt-get remove) pianobar and moved on to my next step.

Next, I checked the Github reports regarding this issue and they recommend compiling from source to resolve the issue but now I'm fighting with an issue with the makefile for Pianobar. It requests a specific version of libav but after installing ffmpeg (libav) none of the options for libav at the top of the makefile allow for a working compile.

Please tell me someone else has run into this issue and has a working solution.

adafruit2

Re: Pianobar TLS/install/compile issues

Post by adafruit2 »

For raspberry pi theres a good chance someone from the pi forums has figured it out - we don't have any experience with compiling pianobar!

idyll23

Post by idyll23 »

I assumed as much and searched around with varying degrees of luck.
Last night I went back to a fresh install of wheezy and went through your instructions for install and configuration and still get the error for TLS.
I've checked the config TLS against the current fingerprint and it matches.
Can you guys run through your procedure and verify that there's no issue?

idyll23

Post by idyll23 »

took it one step further to verify my findings.
I took a fresh install on a new raspberry pi using the Adafruit instructions exactly.

After installation and configuration I rebooted and loaded pianobar and once again received
"TLS read failed"

I verified the TLS signature and logged in through pandora.com to verify password/email (both correct/working) but still pianobar after following adafruit config still receives TLS read failed.

hope you can help!

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Sorry about that. Apparently there's some issues with the current pianobar package...some explanation here:

http://technicaltom.BANNED.com/2013/ ... shake_fix/

Rebuilding pianobar (and dependent libraries) from source is a chore and takes like 30 million years, so I've attached a pre-built version here. Make a copy of the old pianobar that's in /usr/bin, then replace it with this one after gunzipping. Let me know if this fixes it for you...if so, might update the guide with this until the pianobar package is brought up to date.
Attachments
pianobar.gz
(4.06 MiB) Downloaded 271 times

idyll23

Post by idyll23 »

I've actually just tried running through with the walkthrough lanmaster53 posted over here
http://www.lanmaster53.com/2014/05/rasp ... -pianobar/

It's a bit of work to compile the latest versions of FFmpeg and pianobar, but everything works perfectly afterwards.

pwborders

Post by pwborders »

Thanks for the recompiled pianobar executable. I was just wondering why the original was only 43K and the new version after unzipping is 7.7M? Seems like a rather big difference for the same functionality.

Still, it is nice to have a working pandora streamer. Thanks again for the effort.

PeteB
pburgess wrote:Sorry about that. Apparently there's some issues with the current pianobar package...some explanation here:

http://technicaltom.BANNED.com/2013/ ... shake_fix/

Rebuilding pianobar (and dependent libraries) from source is a chore and takes like 30 million years, so I've attached a pre-built version here. Make a copy of the old pianobar that's in /usr/bin, then replace it with this one after gunzipping. Let me know if this fixes it for you...if so, might update the guide with this until the pianobar package is brought up to date.

RedFleeceSandal

Post by RedFleeceSandal »

Found this after spending about 6 hours compiling every FFmpeg library using their instructions and searching forums. Followed instructions at the link provided by idyll23 on a fresh raspbian install and it works. Thanks idyll23! Just need to finish soldering the display together and finish configuring. Hope is restored.

lfzguud

Post by lfzguud »

Sorry to be such a newb, but with regards to copying the pre-built pianobar into the /usr/bin directory - I'm lost.
I copied the old pianobar (no problem) so now I have the old one and a copy of it (called pianobar2). Problem is, when I unzip the pre-made you provided, I end up with a document instead of an executable (?) then if I move that into the /usr/bin directory - it won't run as an executable.
Please advise.
Thanks!

****UPDATE*****DISREGARD the note above, I FIGURED IT OUT!!!
Swear to goodness, I've learned more commands simply by reading two of your posts today alone than I've learned in weeks otherwise!

boomer543

Post by boomer543 »

Tried the fix with downloading the recompiled pianobar. Didn't work for me, sadly enough. I hate being on the bleeding edge.

Jack

lfzguud

Post by lfzguud »

Jack, check out the tutorial - it's been updated and it works very nicely. Hope that helps.

boomer543

Post by boomer543 »

Tried the lanmaster53 fix. Was able to get pianobar to play pandora. Logged out and rebooted. Nothing on the LCD and when I SSH in and try to run pianobar manually from the command line I get the error "DNS lookup failed.

It would SURE be nice if Adafruit could update their tutorial or at least let people know it doesn't work anymore. Waste of several hours of my day....

lfzguud

Post by lfzguud »

When was the last time you checked out the tutorial? It's been updated for over a week now and it works great! Go to the learn section, look for the Raspberry-Pi Radio and you'll see. They really did a great job of updating it.

boomer543

Post by boomer543 »

AARGHHH. just saw the other post about the updated tutorial. I am such an idiot. Thanks for the nudge.

boomer543

Post by boomer543 »

Sorry folks but I am having a problem with the new tutorial. I am fine until I get to the step that requires me to edit the config file. When I open the file that is in the / .config/pianobar folder I get a blank file. When I try to add my username and password, nano doesn't allow me to save the file. When I list the files in the directory, the config file is in red which I now know means it is archived. I have no clue how to unarchive it and there is no instruction in the new tutorial that I need to do so.

In reviewing the "link" step, I see that there is "model" config file in the ~/pianobar/Python-WiFi-Radio folder. When I nano into that folder, it says it is a sample file. I am able to add my account information into the file and save it, but I can't get it to copy into the / .config/pianobar folder. I keep getting error BANNED that the folder isn't a directory. I tried using Cyberduck to find and copy the files in a graphical environment, but then I couldn't find the / .config/pianobar directory at all.

I've followed the instructions in the tutorial to a "T". I don't know how everyone else overcame this problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”