Wireless VIdeo Transmission

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lamia85

Wireless VIdeo Transmission

Post by lamia85 »

Ok so I am new to the world or open source hardware, not so much to electrical and robotic engineering, I do props and sfx makeup along with minor animatronics and lighting. So I am not a complete novice with these things. Although I am hitting the open source learning hard with Arduino, Sparkfun, Adafruit, and Raspberry Pi. Now to the crux of the mater. I have had it in my mind to build this sense I was a child, my own type of wearable tech, IE video/computing/AR/nightvision goggles or HUD of some kind. Adafruit's hacked glass and the discovery of the existence of the Raspberry Pi made me realize that these are no longer flights of fancy. So what I am wondering is possible is the wireless transmission of video data. i know that there are a bunch of radio and bluetooth open source devices and I know data is data, but does the Pi have the computing power to seamlessly process incoming and out going video data? To give a couple of examples how i would apply this data I am designing two things. One a pair of Ecto Goggles (Ghostbuster Goggles), these will be built inside the case of so old Israeli nightvision goggles, with a 3 selection switch between 3 camera inputs of different types that would pipe out to twin hud display's the kind available from Adafruit. Two steampunk wearable computer system, with this I would like to be able to transmit the desktop to the same type of display wirelessly.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Wireless VIdeo Transmission

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

A Raspberry Pi is a complete Linux computer, so it has the resources to handle video and a wireless connection.

The best suggestion I can offer is to get a RasPi and wifi dongle and play around with things for a while. There are lots of details like image resolution, encoding, and frame rate that will control how well a wireless connection can keep up with the video.

lamia85

Re: Wireless VIdeo Transmission

Post by lamia85 »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:A Raspberry Pi is a complete Linux computer, so it has the resources to handle video and a wireless connection.

The best suggestion I can offer is to get a RasPi and wifi dongle and play around with things for a while. There are lots of details like image resolution, encoding, and frame rate that will control how well a wireless connection can keep up with the video.

actually I found what I needed, was looking and learning about ISM band and took a chance on an ebay search for 2.4ghz video transmitter and found these. I just picked up both a Raspberry Pi, Mega2560, and a BeagleBone Black, so I am going to try to teach myself as best i can

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FPV-Video-Stere ... 2c79b197a7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4Ghz-Wireless ... 339138a442

this second one seems like exactly what one would need to make any video feed completely wireless. You guys should check it out, and try it on your Glass Pi. I know I will be.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”