Sensor shopping help

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
kristenw

Sensor shopping help

Post by kristenw »

Hello,
I am looking for a small proximity sensor that can read a human's approach from up to 6' away. I would like to use A LOT of them (50 or so, and put them about 4" apart, and I'd like them to be nearly unnoticeable) as input for an output of clusters of LEDs. IR LEDs/photodiodes are swell but have a range of >10". The Sharp sensor is alright but is bigger and more obvious than I'd like. Any help is appreciated!

Franklin97355

Re: Sensor shopping help

Post by Franklin97355 »

How small do you want? sharp are 58x17.6 mm exposed for one that will measure to 6'

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

What are you trying to accomplish with this array? To detect people at 6', you do not need them to be spaced 4" apart. Multiple sensors spaced that closely would have to be carefully synchronized so as not to interfere with each other.

If you are trying to pinpoint locations within the sensed area, there are better approaches.

kristenw

Post by kristenw »

I am trying to make a proximity-triggered LED cluster that will light from a body's proximity of 0"-6'. From what I've seen, nothing seems to be that sensitive.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Are you trying to detect proximity only, or do you need to pinpoint the location within the sensing range?

Maxbotix sensors will easily handle out to 6'. Sharp sensors can handle the closer range. But in either case, they will need to be carefully synchronized so as not to interfere with each other, and the lateral resolution will be much less than the distance resolution.

If you want to precisely locate bodies in the vicinity, I'd consider something like a Kinect sensor. You would need just one to cover the entire range.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”