Is the lipo charger able to power a device and charge, or on

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
maybecoding

Is the lipo charger able to power a device and charge, or on

Post by maybecoding »

I am confused about the 2 different Lipo charger (the 1304 and the 259).

I would like to get a charger, but at the same time, I would like to get also power to not have my device off while I am charging the battery (not so feasible with the 500mA setup on a USB plug, but it should work if I leave it at the standard 100mA).

Altho I do not see in the specs, if this is possible with both items. Could you please tell me if I can power and charge with both, and if they both have the same current output while charging? I want to order one an before getting the wrong one, is better to ask :)

Thanks

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Is the lipo charger able to power a device and charge, o

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

With either of these chargers, it is possible to connect a load in parallel with the battery. However, the load will be sharing the charge current, which is limited to the maximum selected by the programming resistor. This will slow down the charge rate. And if he load draws more than the max charge current, the balance will come from the battery.

The #390 charger: https://www.adafruit.com/product/390
has a load sharing circuit. It will power the load directly from the input source while still charging the battery with the programmed charge current. This is a better choice if you will be powering a substantial load while charging.

maybecoding

Post by maybecoding »

Thanks for the explanation, Bill.

I am still in design, so I am calculating how much load I will have on the project, to know if I can sustain at the same time the battery charging and the load on the circuit, but your explanation is really helpful.

I was looking at the 390, but it looks like it is for solar panel circuits? Plus the size is considerably bigger than the other 2, which may be a problem in my case.

Looking at the other products, I also se the power boost 400 (PID 1944); which probably in my case would work too? Or is this an older product, replaced by the newer lipo charger? I have either a BeagleBone or a teensy 3 as main board for my project, and if that device can keep up with an iPhone; probably is good enough for my project too.

On a side note; can I transmit or receive data via USB with these items, or they are solely for charging? The ideal would be that I could also send and receive data via USB, and charge at the same time my battery and power my circuit, using a single usb connection.

Thanks Bill!

Bel_Z_Bub

Post by Bel_Z_Bub »

the solar charger is great also just for USB charging. you dont have to install the large capacitor then as well. but it doesnt pass data. it also has a mini usb slot not a micro so you have to think of something anyway to make it convenient. I like these: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1833.

adafruit_support_bill

I was looking at the 390, but it looks like it is for solar panel circuits? Plus the size is considerably bigger than the other 2, which may be a problem in my case.
That 390 charger will handle a variety of inputs - including solar. If you are not using a solar panel, you can omit installing the large capacitor.

The power-boost products are new. The PowerBoost 500 Charger incorporates the same circuit as the Micro Lipo, so it has the same limitations:
Just be aware that the charge rate is 500mA max, so if you're drawing more than ~300mA continuously from the 5V output side, the battery will slowly drain since the charge rate is less than the dis-charge rate.
None of these devices pass data on the data lines. They are charge devices only and the data lines are fixed at 'dedicated charger' voltage levels. You could possibly build a bypass cable to forward the data lines from the computer, but the USB power negotiation between the device and computer would be meaningless.

strider_gismo

Post by strider_gismo »

adafruit_support_bill

The PowerBoost 500C is not designed for solar charging. It may work in ideal conditions, but typical solar conditions are quite variable. This charger is designed specfically for solar charging: https://www.adafruit.com/products/390
This guide explains the special considerations needed for efficient solar charging: https://learn.adafruit.com/usb-dc-and-s ... sign-notes

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”