Thermoelectric cooler. how to power it.

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
abruzzo88

Thermoelectric cooler. how to power it.

Post by abruzzo88 »

This might sound like a stupid question but I ordered the thermoelectric peltier cooler and I know the pad runs off of a 12v 5amp power supply, but there is a cooling fan that comes with it that needs to be powered too. Can I just splice the fan wires with the thermoelectric pad wire together and attach then to the 12v power supply? Thanks for the help!

Franklin97355

Re: Thermoelectric cooler. how to power it.

Post by Franklin97355 »

That should work.

abruzzo88

Post by abruzzo88 »

Awesome thank you for the quick response, il try it out!

Jsims

Post by Jsims »

I was wondering if this would be a suitable battery to power the Peltier Thermo-Electric Cooler Module+Heatsink Assembly - 12V 5A that i purchased from your website. These are the specs for the battery, 5000mAh 11.1v 3S 30C Soft Case LiPo Battery. The 30 C part has me worried. Any material on how to calculate expected battery life would be great as well. Thanks.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That battery should power it for about an hour. At 5A, it would be discharging at a 1C rate which is safe for most batteries. A 30C rating sounds like this battery was designed for very high discharge rates.

Jsims

Post by Jsims »

thank you for your quick response, can you provide the math you did to get to your answer of one hour, that would be very helpful, so far i've had a hard time finding information on battery usage and time, it would be greatly appreciated, thanks again!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

The mAh rating is how many milliamp hours the battery can supply on a full charge. To find the expected run-time in hours, you divide the mAh rating by the load current in milliamps.

In this case, the math is pretty easy. The thermoelectric cooler module draws about 5A (5000mA) at 12v. The battery is rated for 5000mAh which means it can supply 5000mA (5A) for one hour.

(Since the battery is 11.1v instead of 12v, the actual current draw will be a little less than 5A and the run-time proportionally longer)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”