Adalight W/ 25 Pixels and Analog Led Strip

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cedricmoers

Adalight W/ 25 Pixels and Analog Led Strip

Post by cedricmoers »

Hi there,

I'm working on a media center in my room, in which I have used adalight.
For these I made use of an adafruit 25 pixel-strand, controlled by WS2801 chips.
That works great on both my raspberry pi (xbmx) and arduino (controlled by windows)

Underneath my bed, I have an analog LED strip, which I want to control in the same way. So the colors at the underside of the screen would give a color to that ledstrip. Using Mosfets to give the LED-strips their power.
I was looking for a loose WS2801 chip, but without succes. I live in belgium, so importing it from America or China isn't a suitable option.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adalight W/ 25 Pixels and Analog Led Strip

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I'm afraid the closest we have in the shop are WS2811s: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1378

cedricmoers

Post by cedricmoers »

Is it then possible to simulate a Pixel in the program and letting processing or arduino convert it to 3 PWM channels on the Arduino?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you have the color value, you don't need to simulate a NeoPixel. Just pull out the red, green, and blue values and use them to define your PWM duty cycles.

You'll probably want to use a separate Arduino to control the analog strips though. Combining three-channel PWM code with the code that runs the WS2801 strip would be a serious challenge.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”