Looping image or video project help

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mhill

Looping image or video project help

Post by mhill »

So I've discovered AdaFruit recently and I'm completely jazzed about the possibilities. I just need to be pointed in the exact direction.
What I want to do is simple but it needs to work without fail and without any effort by the client...beyond turning the unit on.
I am an artist, and I am putting together a sculpture which will feature a small window frame and window, seemingly lit from a fireplace from off-screen.

What I want to use as the display:
NTSC/PAL (Television) TFT Display - 1.5" Diagonal
PRODUCT ID: 910
or
OLED Breakout Board - 16-bit Color 1.27" w/microSD holder

What I want to do:
Preferably, be able to have the silhouette of a BANNED pass across, stand in front of, and pier out the window. In the form of a video I will create, that can loop without audio.
or, Just allow for a lighting effect similar to the attached image, and only have a static lighting effect.
I want to be able to store this file on a micro-SD card or similar, and with the flip of the master power switch for the whole sculpture, the video or image automatically loads. So that the client could manage this no problem.

Some other information:
-This screen will be left on throughout the day, switched on and off, etc, potentially for years, it shouldn't fail. I don't know how reliable this technology is.
-If a slightly bigger screen is more desirable (better options), please suggest. I think I could crop the area of the screen I need to use, and place a frame in front of the unused portion.
-Resolution: Not a big deal, the resolution of the smallest unit is enough.
-If additional hardware is required, I'm ready to get on board with that.
-Price is not a factor.
-My skills: Soldering I can manage, hooking things up I can manage. Programming, I don't want to have to go there. Having to hook up a keyboard and mouse, to get this thing going, I'm keen to avoid.

I'd rather just figure out some plug- and play option, or back light a piece of stained glass with an LED to achieve something similar.
The vision of the BANNED in the miniature window, catching people off guard, is what I am chasing.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP.
My promise to you, if it interests you, when it's done, I'll share the project photos.
Best,
Mattie
Attachments
window.jpg
window.jpg (38.75 KiB) Viewed 154 times

Hansipete

Re: Looping image or video project help

Post by Hansipete »

Hi Mattie,

I recently set up an interactive exhibit for a friend of mine, Manja. I wanted to open source it but I could provide you with a sneak peak...

It's based on 10 Raspberry Pis: One is connected to a MIDI Keyboard and sending "Trigger-Actions" to the 9 Pis behind the screens. They loop a video all the time, until they receive a trigger action. Then they play back that video and return to the loop.

There are some pictures: http://cargocollective.com/manjaebert/A ... chirme-und

It could be easily used to play just a video loop. The loop goes on the SD card, it features a dedicated partition for changing video/audio files easily.

We made the system a "read-only" one, so it's pretty robust. (The people from Manjas exhibition actually started and stopped the whole installation with a single big power switch that supplied the screens and the Raspberries)

Schöne Grüße aus Berlin,
Hans

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”