Virtual Reality

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ktolber12

Virtual Reality

Post by ktolber12 »

I teach Electronics at a career tech school (High school students) I have been asked to build a Virtual World. goggles the works any ideas? it's a chicken house simulator. for elementary aged students. Can I make a video and goggles or What HELP!!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Virtual Reality

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Have you had a look at this project?: https://learn.adafruit.com/3d-printed-w ... eo-goggles

docdavies

Post by docdavies »

Two things.....do you by any stroke of fate have the files for the virtual reality goggles in something like Inventor Pro, CREO or Solidworks???? I have a dual head printer and can slice the part and dual print in PLA and ninjaflex that way.

Or.
Can you tell me how to edit Makerbot Replicator 2x gcode file to pause, allow me to change filament (which I can do) and then print with different temp and feed rate (which I can't do)?

Doc

adafruit_support_bill

Not sure what tool was used by the authors. I can check into it. You might also check around and see if there are any conversion utilities. I know you can import STLs into 123D. I'd expect Creo or Solidworks would support that too.

adafruit_support_bill

Update - the project is a work-in-progress. The authors plan to post the design files when it is complete.

docdavies

Post by docdavies »

All of the major packages, Inventor Pro, CREO and Solidworks will import .stls...but only as "un-editiable" meshes. Autodesk (Inventor) does sell a program that converts .stls to solid models..but I can't afford it.

When you say post design files...do you mean higher level CAD drawings? I'd really appreciate that since I'm sitting here with all the part$ and would love to have the headset ready for a rapidly approaching Maker Faire.

adafruit_support_bill

My SolidWorks guru says that SolidWorks will optionally import stl as a solid body, but there are some limits to the number of facets.
When you say post design files...do you mean higher level CAD drawings?
Yes.

docdavies

Post by docdavies »

I don't use Solidworks, but have access to copies since I'm a mentor for several FIRST Robotics teams.

I'll load it and look. I know it was able to so so in the 2013 version, but last I checked with 2014 version that ah...option had been removed.

Thanks...I am really anxious to get this thing going.

docdavies

Post by docdavies »

It seems that it has become more difficult for First Robotics folks to get Solidworks so I'm working on that. I did try to do a conversion using FreeCAD, but that hasn't worked so well either.

Please let me know when you modify the files. I'll take some measurements and start working with Inventor Pro on this end.

docdavies

Post by docdavies »

Has there been any progress on this project?
My son is working on it and is having trouble implementing the gyro/accelerometer into the mix.

pixil3d

Post by pixil3d »

The editable 123D Design files are available here: http://www.123dapp.com/project/VR%20Goggles/3003184

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”