MAX 9744 Amplifier Card

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gpdc

MAX 9744 Amplifier Card

Post by gpdc »

long story short...can't get it to work....probably self induced...
Received it, soldered the terminal blocks on...using the headphone jack of the flat screen in the RV bedroom for audio input & an available 12v battery source...(the new) remote speaker wires are connected correctly....initially had 100K ohm remote pot before realizing the supplied piece is the correct 1K ohm, so I swapped that in......AND THEN found out I needed to solder closed ANALOG, AD1 & AD2.......I did power up the board before closing those bridges & got nada from the speakers.......dim lighting, awkward position, etc, etc. & I managed to get extra solder around the ANALOG bridge...such that it may have touched the adjacent (2) chips, the one right of & the one nearest to the bottom right corner on the ANALOG bridge.....and then I powered it up............................
No sound at all.....found the extra solder & cleaned it out..........................
Already have a new board ordered...you'll probably ship it today.......
Did I ruin the original board with the extra solder...?
Am I still missing something before this will work for me?
Interesting & not expected: on a hunch, I direct connected the two (8) ohm remote speakers to the headphone jack....and got acceptable sound from the speakers....just not enough of it....wasn't expecting anything at all....
Any ideas/ thoughts/scoldings for me would accepted be very welcome....
Thank you!...gpdc

adafruit_support_bill

Re: MAX 9744 Amplifier Card

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

No sound at all.....found the extra solder & cleaned it out...
If you post some photos showing your soldering on the board and indicating where the extra solder may have strayed we can get a better idea if there may be any lasting damage.

gpdc

Post by gpdc »

will do...!
tomarrow....

gpdc

Post by gpdc »

attached is a pic of my self-inflicted badness....right below the "O" in analOg was filled with solder such that there was a bridge between "ANALOG" and the small 1002 chip on the right....and I'm also pretty sure there was some solder between the (vertical) 1002 chip on the right and "ANALOG" & possibly even the aforementioned 1002 chip.....
So: I'm guessing my new board will arrive in the next day or two...and should I expect sound from the speakers even BEFORE
solder bridging the (3) sites?......'cause I certainly didn't have it before....that's what led to my troubles.....
And on another subject....I need a small piezo type electro- acoustic tradsducer to use in an electronic stethascope project and I'm not finding one available from Adafruit....am I missing something ?
again:
Thank you for the help
Attachments
My Bad.jpg
My Bad.jpg (391.7 KiB) Viewed 176 times

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

From what i can see there, I don't thing solder bridges in those locations would result in any lasting damage.

For a stethascope, one of these would probably be your best bet. https://www.adafruit.com/product/1739

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”