Fadecandy - localhost:7890 port blocked

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
paladin25

Fadecandy - localhost:7890 port blocked

Post by paladin25 »

So I am trying to create a LED costume project for my Production Technology students to create for my school's Show Choir. I bought some LED's and a Fadecandy board for proof of concept testing. In the process of trying to get stuff to work, I have discovered that my school's network blocks port 7890. Is there a way around this?

Thank you..

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Fadecandy - localhost:7890 port blocked

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Your network probably has a "close everything but a few selected ports" policy, which is sensible. It won't leave you access to ports that aren't being used for some other, popular protocol though.

Your best bet is to talk to the network administrator and see if you can get a temporary exception for port 7890.

paladin25

Post by paladin25 »

I have talked to my IT folks....opening a port evidently requires an act of God. There is no way to have it opened.

Is there a way to use the Fadecandy with out it or did I waste my money?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you run the Fadecandy server on the same machine that controls the LEDs, you don't need an external network connection.

You'd only need to send port 7890 traffic across the school network if you had the Fadecandy server running on one machine and a different machine taking commands from the server and running the LEDs.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”