Flora and Wifi module nRF24L01

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pattoj79

Flora and Wifi module nRF24L01

Post by pattoj79 »

Hi,
I'm new to Arduino and flora and have a design flaw... Wifi communication.
Project
Boundary breach (escaped dog) and live GPS Tracking for my dog so I can find him once escaped.
The idea is to send an alarm to myself on my phone when my dog escapes and have flashing LEDS on the dog collar when it is outside the yard boundary. To save batteries, the wifi is only turned on when the boundary alarm is operated. I should then have enough time to get home and regather the dog before it is outside the wifi signal range. With an early alert it will make it easier.... hopefully

My question however is how do I connect the wifi module and is it possible to do. Will the connection to the wifi be too slow to establish once the dog escapes? I'm sure the signal would be strong enough but time to connect may be slow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Flora and Wifi module nRF24L01

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Wifi is only reliable to about 150' under good conditions. Are you sure your dog will stay within that range?

pattoj79

Post by pattoj79 »

Thanks for the response but range is probably not the aim of the question. This is just a possible scenario.

The main question however is can the wifi module be connected to the Flora? If so are you able to advise how to connect it. If I can get it to work I will be able too test the connection speed. (for info SDA & SCL will be used for an accelerometer). Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

The flora ICSP pins are
SCK - This has a direct connection - It's ok
MISO - This has a direct connection - It's ok
MOSI - This has a direct connection - It's ok
5V - The power supply for the nRF24L01+ is 3.3V. Is this Power pin acceptable to power it or should I use the outer ring 3.3V
GND - Am I able to use this pin for GND even if I use 3.3V from the main outer ring connections.
Reset - Not sure if this is able to be used in my case.

The pin arrangement on the nRF24L01+ is
SCK - This has a direct connection - It's ok
MISO - This has a direct connection - It's ok
MOSI - This has a direct connection - It's ok
CE - Digital In - Chip Enable activates Rx or Tx Mode. Can I use D9, D11 or D10? (D6 is used for RGB LED's)
CSN - Digital In - SPI Chip Select. Can I use D9, D11 or D10?
IRQ - Digital Output. Maskable Interrupt Pin. Active Low. Can I use D9, D11 or D10?
VDD - Power supply (1.9 - 3.6V DC)
VSS - Gnd (0V)

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It should work.. the Flora is roughly comparable to a Leonardo (they both use the ATmega32u4), and the CC3000 works with a Leo.

The CE and CSN pins are digital signals that you can map to any pin.

The IRQ needs to go to a pin that can do interrupts. The CC3000 library allows you to set the pin with the Adafruit_CC3000 constructor, but it checks a pin table to see if the pin can do the job. That means the interrupt handler looks for something other than a pin-change interrupt (all ATmega/tiny pins can do PCI), but the ATmega32u4 has a whopping 5 pins with their own interrupt slot in the vector table (smaller chips have 1, the Uno has 2).

Rather than trying to trace the schematics, just feed a range of pin numbers into the Adafruit_CC3000 constructor. If it doesn't say "not an INT pin!", you're good.

pattoj79

Post by pattoj79 »

Thanks for the response. I will check out the CC3000 and give it a go.

pritorius

Post by pritorius »

Hi,

I want to make device where the device is attached to an object and if the object is moved in a particular way, I get a wireless signal in a server. I want to use and
Adafruit flora(https://www.adafruit.com/product/659) and an accelerometer(https://www.adafruit.com/product/1247). Now I need a wireless connection. Is there any wifi module that is compatible with flora? What are my options?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

get a wireless signal in a server
To talk to a network server you will need something from here https://www.adafruit.com/category/256

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”