Simple Project: RF Controlled Lock Type Solenoid

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
matt_h

Simple Project: RF Controlled Lock Type Solenoid

Post by matt_h »

I'm working on a relatively simple circuit. When I click the correct button on the remote for the pin on the toggle type receiver boards, I want the solenoid to activate.

I built the circuit with an LED in place of the solenoid and it ran fine with the 5v power supply, but it wouldn't drive the lock type solenoid. I hooked up a 12v power supply to it and I think I fried the receiver board. It is now literally always on and I fried two LEDs also. Luckily I have another receiver board on hand. I have a diode behind the solenoid between power and ground.

I have a EE background but haven't played with circuits for a long while. Sorry for asking for a hand hold on this.

Thanks!

matt_h

Re: Simple Project: RF Controlled Lock Type Solenoid

Post by matt_h »

I wasn't running a transistor on it. This is probably my problem.

zener

Post by zener »

Yeah, the output pins are basically digital outputs and can sink or source maybe 10 mA. The chip inside can take 16V supposedly but you cant hook that straight to the output pins (or through a very low resistance like a solenoid). So, yes a transistor would be a good choice. They sell a good mosfet here. Make sure to put a flyback diode across the solenoid to clamp any voltage spikes that occur when the power to the solenoid is removed.

matt_h

Post by matt_h »

Thanks Zener

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”