Remote Servo Project

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
buzzbait96

Remote Servo Project

Post by buzzbait96 »

Hello everyone, I'm new to all this but I have a project question for you. I've been searching the internet for about 2 weeks and last night finally I came across a video on this site of almost exactly what I'm looking for. The video is of a 4 button key fob controlling 4 LED lights separately one for each button on the key fob. So here is my project I want to do the same thing with the key fob but I want to control four separate servos and have them battery pack powered instead of hard wired. It looks like this website sells everything I need but I don't know how to go about it or if it's even possible. Eventually these units would be attached to a 3 inch PVC pipe and used for detection dog training. Any help or suggestions you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Remote Servo Project

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

That certainly sounds possible. You can use one of our RF receiver modules and have the 4 outputs connected to an Arduino. The Arduino could detect the state of the receiver pins and activate the servos in response. The whole thing could run from a battery pack.

buzzbait96

Post by buzzbait96 »

Hello Bill, thanks for the quick response let me actually clarify I want to make the 4 servos connect to 4 different pvc pipes, so I would have 1 servo 1 battery pack and one receiver connected each one of the pipes and then the key fob remote to control them all, each button on the key fob would control a different pipe does this help any. Thanks again.

adafruit_support_bill

OK. So you would need 4 receivers and 4 processors. (This might be a good application for a Trinket)
The transmitter will activate all 4 receivers simultaneously, but you would only connect one of the 4 pins on each, so you could control each servo separately.

buzzbait96

Post by buzzbait96 »

I Bill, thanks again would the trinket be attached to one of the processors or all 4 separately? Could it all (servo, processor, receiver, and battery) be attached to one of those bread boards....or am I just in why over my head here!....

zener

Post by zener »

I will jump in here and hopefully I am on the same page with Bill. You would have one transmitter and 4 separate receivers. Each receiver would be connected to a trinket which is basically a scaled down version of an Arduino. So the Trinket is the processor. They come in a 3.3V version and a 5V version. I am not sure which you would need. The Trinket would make the pulse width signal that you need to control the servo. So each receiver would be independent which I think is what you are looking for.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/1501

** edit, changed the link to the 5V version **
Last edited by zener on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_bill

Thanks Zener. We are on the same page. Since the servos are going to want 5-6v at least, I'd suggest the 5v Trinket.

buzzbait96

Post by buzzbait96 »

Thanks guys, ok let me see if I got this I would need 4 Trinkets, 4 RF Momentary Receivers, 4 Battery Packs, 1 RF Key Fob, and 1 FM Transmitter..... Is that correct?

adafruit_support_bill

You don't need the FM transmitter. The RF key-fob will activate all 4 of the RF receivers.

buzzbait96

Post by buzzbait96 »

Thanks Bill, okay so the key fob will turn on all four servos at once...does that mean though it will turn them on but will not activate the servos to turn until each button is pushed separately....

buzzbait96

Post by buzzbait96 »

Sorry Bill, I mean will activate the receivers but will not turn the servos on until each button is pressed individually...

adafruit_support_bill

Yes. Each receiver has 4 pins - corresponding to the 4 buttons on the key-fob. When you press a button, it will activate the same pin on all 4 receivers. But if only one receiver has that pin wired for servo control, only that servo will activate.

buzzbait96

Post by buzzbait96 »

I think I finally got it...lol Can it all (meaning Servo, Trinket, Receiver, and Battery pack) be attached to one of the bread boards or do I need to solder it all together do you make a case this would all fit in as well?

adafruit_support_bill

Breadboards are great for prototyping, but not very reliable for long-term use. You will want soldered connections eventually. What I'd recommend is to get one breadboard for testing your circuit, then transfer it to a "permaproto" board. You can probably fit everything onto a half or quarter-size board.
https://www.adafruit.com/search?q=permaproto

As for enclosures. Will this be exposed to the elements? Does the servo need to be inside or outside the case?

buzzbait96

Post by buzzbait96 »

There could be some weather exposure....and I think the servo would have to be outside...I need the servo arm to go through the side of a pvc pipe and rotate 90 or 180 degrees to release a tennis ball....

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”