Need high current 12V panel connector

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wandrson

Need high current 12V panel connector

Post by wandrson »

I nned to pass 12V at 20-30 amps to a 3D printer. The current commercial design uses a 5.5 x 2.5 connector, which at best seems rated for only 5A. Can someone recomment a good panel mount connector that is speced for 20-30 amps?

zener

Re: Need high current 12V panel connector

Post by zener »

Welllll, this is a bit like asking someone the best motor oil to use... There could be a lot of opinions. There are lots of ways you can do it. But actually I have a lot of questions:

Is it 20A continuous (or higher)? Or is that just the peak current? How do you suppose the other people get away with the small connector? Is it a problem? Does it need to be disconnected very often? Would a cord gripped cable with an inline connector work as well?

wandrson

Post by wandrson »

The manufacturer recently offered a Heather upgrade which requires the higher current. They have included several other out of spec components and while it hasn't caused me any problem YET, I wish to replace the connector before it does.

I have done some preliminary searching and been unable to find any high amperage DC panel jacks/connectors. So I am seeking suggestions.

wandrson

Post by wandrson »

The manufacturer recently offered a Heather upgrade which requires the higher current. They have included several other out of spec components and while it hasn't caused me any problem YET, I wish to replace the connector before it does.

I have done some preliminary searching and been unable to find any high amperage DC panel jacks/connectors. So I am seeking suggestions.

zener

Post by zener »

OK. Well there isn't really a standard "go-to" solution for that, other than cig lighter connector maybe... There are several I can think of but nothing that jumps out as "The" way to do it. Hopefully someone else has a great idea. Here are some options I can think of:

De-pluggable terminal block from Phoenix. Would be a fairly big one.

Anderson Power Products has some that can mount in a panel adapter, though I have always just used them in-line. Their literature is a bit to wade through:

http://www.andersonpower.com/litlib/fil ... ownload/62

The Tyco (TE) (aka AMP) CPC series-3 connectors will get to those levels with the silver or gold plated terminals, though I really don't like them. They are hard to work with IMHO, and they are quite spendy. It was a great concept and the engineers did their part, but marketing killed it IMHO. Maybe they are just very expensive to make?

Maybe you could use a Hubbel type twist connector. Those are typically used for AC but I have seen them used for DC at low voltages.

Here is something from China that claims to meet your specs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Waterproof ... 27e4b9a5bd

I would probably use Anderson in-line and cord grip at the panel. I know that will be reliable since I have used those before, and they are reasonably priced.

Good luck!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”