AC PCB design help

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sgraves66

AC PCB design help

Post by sgraves66 »

I'd like to incorporate this SSR (PF240D25 http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/93/p_f-16841.pdf) into a custom PCB, protect it using an 15A fuse and provide in/out terminal blocks for connectivity/pass-through (load/neutral/ground). This is part of a home automation project and my first entry into AC circuit design. I'm essentially creating a WiFi-enabled motion detection faceplate to control lights throughout the house (120v/60Hz).

My initial research indicates that I would probably need 4oz copper thickness with ~6+mm trace between 'terminal block->fuse->SSR load' if I were to provide routes on a PCB that could sustain a 15A load. Not feasible for my purposes and price range. I plan to use stranded copper cable to complete the connections. Am I correct in this conclusion and is this the safest way to handle high current in this project? Should additional copper be available surrounding the pads on the PCB (planning on 0.06" outer/.04 inner) to support higher current or will standard dimensions work assuming the pads are sized appropriately for the through-hole components?

The max amount of current through the SSR should be on par with a single 100w bulb (~0.83A) and no more than ~2A for multi-bulb fixtures. Based on the datasheet for the SSR, temperatures seem to be pretty high for mounting it a single/double gang box. Would an SPST relay be more appropriate in this situation? Although more expensive, I'd prefer the SSR for it's simplicity and decoupling nature.

For clarification, the PCB for AC is on a standalone PCB. Shielded cabling is used to connect it to the actual control board.

zener

Re: AC PCB design help

Post by zener »

You might consider fusing it closer to your expected load. So fuse it for 5A, then you don't need traces as large. But if you are sizing traces for 15A then they would be about as big as you say. You can lay traces on both side to double the capacity. For through hole calculations use the circumference of the hole to calculate the metal, assuming they are plated through.

sgraves66

Re: AC PCB design help

Post by sgraves66 »

Thanks so much. It makes much more sense to use a 5A fuse for light control and it never crossed my mind to trace on both sides. I have future requirements to control devices in the 12A range and was designing based on the worst case scenario. Since the AC relay control board is modular by design, I may just tackle the 12A issue in a different PCB module. I should probably just use a general purpose relay now.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”