DONT BUY FUTURLEC

General project help for Adafruit customers

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
victim

Re: DONT BUY FUTURLEC

Post by victim »

YES, DO NOT EVER BUY FROM THIS FUTURLEC!!! I was billed and the electronics components never come at all (trust me, I am a very understanding person... but I waited more than 4 months already)!! Piece of BANNED!! this company should be closed and stop cheating people. I think they just want to host a dummy website and once you pay, that;s it... this will be first and last time I would buy components from websites... thanks to this shitty futurlec.

victim

Post by victim »

AS I SAID ... DUN EVER BUY FORM THIS SHITTY COMPANY... PAID AND THE GOODS NEVER CAME.

patricia34

Post by patricia34 »

hey
I bought from futurlec about one month and a half a bunch of knobs pots, and switches for my midibox for about 100$.
The only problem is that they've taken the money and I still haven't RSS Tool Chest received anything. I live in france but I don't think their shipping takes that long.
Has this happened to anybody else before? Has anybody from france already ordered from futurlec?
Last edited by patricia34 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

tyggerjai

Post by tyggerjai »

First step is surely to email them and ask what's up. I have, as I said, had a couple of delayed orders in the past, and a quick email sorted out the problem. Chances are they'll be waiting on one part, and they won't ship th order without it unless you email them and tell them to.

mwilson

Post by mwilson »

I've placed two orders. The second vanished entirely. I never complained and they never shipped. On the upside, they never billed me, either.

The first order took two or three months, eventually shipped Registered Air Mail direct from Bangkok. I was very satisfied by that order once I got it.

If I ever ordered again,it would be to get more of the ET-TEAM STAMP ATMega128's. I don't see any alternative to these boards at the price -- neither from the Canadian Olimex dealer, nor Adafruit, nor Sparkfun, nor Pololu. Right now is probably a bad time to order anything from Bangkok.

paulcar

Post by paulcar »

I have used Futurlec successfully in the past and I placed an order with them on the 12th October for parts for
a class A SS amp. They acknowledged the order and debited my credit card but I found that the order status
on their website showed no entry against shipping details. I sent them several emails but none have been
answered ...unfortunately there is no telephone contact number
Paulcar

chuckz

Post by chuckz »

I have ordered twice from Futurlec and haven't had any problems.

paulcar

Post by paulcar »

I posted my recent experience re placing an order in early October and hearing nothing since altho my card was debited.
I am pleased to say that I got a message from Futurlec a day after my posting saying that one item was out of stock and unavailable and if they should cancel. I gave them a replacement item and have just received a message saying that my order has now been posted from Thailand and should arrive in ten days. So Futurlec has been responsive albeit late....

chuckz

Post by chuckz »

Could the flooding in Thailand be a cause for people's frustration?

burpees_NH

Post by burpees_NH »

liudr wrote:LOL, to find real cheap parts, check out dipmicro.com
They are in Canada. We all know where the parts originally came from but Canada is at least closer to US buyers.
DIPMicro seems good. I ordered only once... they had great prices on ATtiny85's, way cheaper than if I ordered from DigiKey or Mouser.

I have to offer a defensive voice for Futurlec. I've placed 4 orders in 18 months. Futurelec is AWESOME if you want parts you might buy in bulk (resistors, caps) and they're even better at "bulky" items like battery holders and potentiometers because you'll pay 75% less than the usual shops in the US.

Futurelec works for me because I'm building an inventory to make 3-4 projects/kits at a time, starting from no inventory at all. So I got my assortments of caps, resistors, for very small change. And yes I sample test and everything is within tolerance.

Futurlec's kind of like a market... appreciate it for what it is, know what it's good for, and don't expect 2-6 day shipping like you get in the US (well, maybe their priciest shipping is fast.. I take the cheapest UPS option usually, unless the order's under $30 and then I'll chance first class mail. If something's late, or something is missing, don't shout or threaten just give them the option to replace it or refund it (worked for me).

If you're NOT a hobbyist meaning you have production deadlines, by now you should know Futurlec is not for you, and there's no point complaining the shoe didn't fit if you knew it was not your size to begin with. :)

mwilson

Post by mwilson »

dipmicro is good. When I buy for inventory I buy from there. Downside is that they only stock -- what? -- a few thousand different items. So if I get 8-pin AVR it had better be ATtiny85. When I wanted CD4093's those weren't there. The whole purchase/shipping process, for me, has been fast and completely reliable. They have a website and forum -- maybe they take requests; I should try.

burpees_NH

Post by burpees_NH »

Also, I find it very suspect that a dummy account was created (username:victim) to pile on criticism of futurlec. By all means be a reasoned critic, but whoever created that fake account should have named it 'the victim card'.

Goes without saying... Pay for shipping insurance. A vendor may permit you to gamble, but don't expect free reshipment of free goods if you gambled wrong.

chuckz

Post by chuckz »

I went looking on the web for deals and I found some companies selling fire resistant resistors. I suppose if you have your project in a minty tin or a metal box, you have some measure of safety. If you buy a part from Mouser or Digikey, you usually get a datasheet. I have no idea if you are getting a product that is fire resistant from Futurlec and they don't give you a datasheet.

burpees_NH

Post by burpees_NH »

Chuckz wrote:I went looking on the web for deals and I found some companies selling fire resistant resistors. I suppose if you have your project in a minty tin or a metal box, you have some measure of safety. If you buy a part from Mouser or Digikey, you usually get a datasheet. I have no idea if you are getting a product that is fire resistant from Futurlec and they don't give you a datasheet.
I doubt that the resistors are very flammable, and they seem comparable to what you get at Radio Shack or Digi-Key. Unless you specifically purchase pieces labeled as fire retardant, you're getting a commodity piece. DK and mouser carry fire retardant pieces, but I've never known anyone to buy them.

But you have a good point, you don't always know +exactly+ what you are getting when you order Futurlec resistors or caps, and lots of small passives do not have any datasheets. That's irritating, and the Futurlec website kind of sucks.

EDIT: Nov 17 (during the FLOOD) I placed a $28 Futurlec order w/ $4 shipping.. shipped on Nov 25, got it today, Dec 12.
Digi-Key orders usually take me 2-3 business days...

All the stuff I bought would cost 250% more at DigiKey (or it's stuff I couldn't get at QTY 1 to QTY 10 reasonably). SOIC->DIP adapters, battery packs, 5% and 1% resistors to finish my starter inventory, assorted AVRs, and an 5mm 8x8 rgb LED matrix for $10. I also got some "gold plated RCA panel mounts" (I expected flimsy parts, but on the surface they -seem- just as good as the ones I bought at DK).

joemehrle

Post by joemehrle »

I ordered it has been over 2 months no replies to email took $350. This is a total sham, why play rush and roulette with your money. Even if it is cheap, why risk it. This company I am reporting to the Federal Trade Commission and the Secretary of State of Ohio and my credit card is returning the funds to me. Go with other recommendations and avoid this place like the plague they are common thieves and nothing more. I am actually going out of my way to see if I can assist in getting these guys shut down. I am not rolling over. People claiming someone is piling on is bull. I just happened on this site and wished I would have before I bought from these crooks. More likely, the positive reviews are from the crooks like this "AMP" person. Do yourself a favor and stay way away from this outfit, I truly wish I had.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General Project help”