Minty boost problem

Ideas and questions about MintyBoost kits

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Zak2788

Minty boost problem

Post by Zak2788 »

Hello, I recently got my minty boost in the mail and I put it together with no problems and I also tested all of the voltages and they were correct so I put it in an altoids tin and it worked... On an iPhone 4 for about 5 min... The battery's were brand new!!! But I also bought another new pack of battery's to try out and they did the same thing in 5 min I got the "charging not supported with this accessory" :( there is NO cold solder joints and there in NO shorts in the circuit. Please help!!!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Minty boost problem

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you post photos of the front & back of the board we will take a look. But if it is charging, your assembly is most likely OK.

What batteries are you using? Not all batteries are created equal. Check out battery recommendations here: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=22377

Zak2788

Post by Zak2788 »

Well that's another problem my minty boost is hot glued into the tin, is there anyway to get it out??? I am using Duracell battery's

Zak2788

Post by Zak2788 »

Also the charging icon at the top of the iPhone switches between a charging symbol and a plug symbol. Also when it's on the plug symbol I doesn't charge, and since it switches between those 2 symbols It doesn't really charge at all even though it says it is!!!

adafruit_support_bill

my minty boost is hot glued into the tin, is there anyway to get it out?
You could try heating it gently (heat-gun, hair-dryer) from the bottom of the tin.
I am using Duracell battery's
Duracell makes many different types of batteries. Duracell-Ultra are designed for high-drain applications and generally work well in the Mintyboost.
Also the charging icon at the top of the iPhone switches between a charging symbol and a plug symbol. Also when it's on the plug symbol I doesn't charge, and since it switches between those 2 symbols It doesn't really charge at all even though it says it is!!!
It sounds like the phone thinks it is connected to a high-current wall-charger and is trying to charge at a higher charge rate than the Minty can keep up with. Did you short together D1 & D2 on the USB connector? The iPhone 4's usually work well in that configuration.

Zak2788

Post by Zak2788 »

I shorted out the data lines and now the iPhone charges!!! But there is still a problem with the battery life on the minty boost, I tried using rechargeable energizer battery's but I get the "charging not supported with this accessory" after about 10 min :( please help. I really want to use rechargeable battery's so do I just have bad battery's?

Zak2788

Post by Zak2788 »

Never mind it doesn't charge my iphone anymore... :( it just switches between the 2 charging symbols so fast that it doesn't charge my iphone and they are new battery's!!!

adafruit_support_bill

Try a different charging cable. old, extra long and/or 3rd-party cables sometimes have a significant voltage drop.

Zak2788

Post by Zak2788 »

I'm using the cable that came with the iPhone it's only one month old!!!

adafruit_support_bill

What batteries are you testing with (brand AND model)?
Measure the output voltage of the mintyboost with the phone disconnected.
Then measure it again with the phone connected & report the results.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “MintyBoost”