USPS shipping to Germany? Anyone else having problems?

Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Get help, and assist others in with open source kits and running a business! Do not ask for legal advice or for consulting services in this forum, only general biz questions!
wayneft

USPS shipping to Germany? Anyone else having problems?

Post by wayneft »

Has anyone experienced any recent problems shipping packages to Germany using the USPS? I've been shipping products internationally for quite some time and have never run across this issue, but almost every package I've sent to Germany in the last couple of months or so have not arrived to their destinations. Just wondering if any of you other Makers out there have run into this issue recently.

adafruit

Re: USPS shipping to Germany? Anyone else having problems?

Post by adafruit »

wayneft wrote:Has anyone experienced any recent problems shipping packages to Germany using the USPS? I've been shipping products internationally for quite some time and have never run across this issue, but almost every package I've sent to Germany in the last couple of months or so have not arrived to their destinations. Just wondering if any of you other Makers out there have run into this issue recently.
during the holidays things get really slow, but we have not heard too many (or many issues).

let us know if there are any issues and we'll do our best to assist you!

thanks,
adafruit support, phil

nootropicdesign

Post by nootropicdesign »

YES, I have more problems with Germany than any other country, and it has gotten worse in 2012. I don't know if the delays are due to customs processing or Deutsche Post, but delivery of USPS Priority Mail International small flat rate boxes can take over a month. I get more complaints from German customers than anyone else.

wayneft

Post by wayneft »

Don't get me started on the International Small Flat Rate box either! I'm getting ready to discontinue offering it as an option as it doesn't appear to be any faster than First Class and offers no added benefit whatsoever that I can see.

neutron spin

Post by neutron spin »

I recently had problems and quit shipping to Germany. Customers were giving negative feedback over something I had no control over...German Customs is a joke!... :cry:

nootropicdesign

Post by nootropicdesign »

wayneft, thanks for that info about Priority Mail flat rate versus First Class International. I have been offering Priority Mail small flat rate boxes for several years, but have never offered First Class International because I perceived first class to be inferior. But I was just starting to think that they might be handled exactly the same by foreign postal services.

The rates on the small flat rate boxes are going up very significantly in January. From $16.95 to $23.95. That's crazy. First class international is going up too, but it's much cheaper.

Does anyone else have any insight as to whether Priority Mail International flat rate boxes are handled faster than first class international?

If they are not, I'm definitely switching to first class international.

neutron spin

Post by neutron spin »

nootropic wrote:wayneft, thanks for that info about Priority Mail flat rate versus First Class International. I have been offering Priority Mail small flat rate boxes for several years, but have never offered First Class International because I perceived first class to be inferior. But I was just starting to think that they might be handled exactly the same by foreign postal services.

The rates on the small flat rate boxes are going up very significantly in January. From $16.95 to $23.95. That's crazy. First class international is going up too, but it's much cheaper.

Does anyone else have any insight as to whether Priority Mail International flat rate boxes are handled faster than first class international?

If they are not, I'm definitely switching to first class international.
We use USPS First Class International Mail on all our small packages. Priority Mail international is way too costly now. Shipping time to most locations ranges from 6-10 days depending on Customs delays. Unless it is a high ticket item we only use First Class International...but no tracking is available and the USPS does not offer insurance. We use a private insurance carrier for our shipments.

laen

Post by laen »

wayneft wrote:Has anyone experienced any recent problems shipping packages to Germany using the USPS? I've been shipping products internationally for quite some time and have never run across this issue, but almost every package I've sent to Germany in the last couple of months or so have not arrived to their destinations. Just wondering if any of you other Makers out there have run into this issue recently.
International shipping from the US is always really variable, but the holidays have really made it a lot worse.

In my experience, standard first class mail is usually 6-12 days to western european countries, but I've had lots of reports of packages taking 4+ weeks since last November.

Forum rules

Return to “Kitbiz”