new Raspberry Pi, no display

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
andrex

new Raspberry Pi, no display

Post by andrex »

I ordered a Raspberry Pi starter pack on 12/19. Yesterday we opened and assembled it, imaged the SD card, and powered up the Pi. A red LED came on, but otherwise I can't get any sign that the Pi is running. I connected by HDMI to two different monitors with two different cables, and got "No signal" on both monitors. Then I tried connecting by ethernet to our LAN router, and got no indication from the router that any device was connected.

What's the next step? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Andrew.

svinzant

Re: new Raspberry Pi, no display

Post by svinzant »

I would start with the image in the SD card.
Check out This link for some guidance.
Scott

Hwestiii

Post by Hwestiii »

I had the same experience with HDMI and was forced to use component video to view output which allowed me to see what I was doing long enough to set up ssh, so I could connect from another machine. Still looking for solution to HDMI issue.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

if composite works, but hdmi does not you may need to "force hdmi" by editing config.txt - google for more details, we don't have a specific tutorial :)

andrex

Post by andrex »

OK, it took me a while to get back to this, but here's where we are. We still have no solution.

I tried everything on the checklist that you pointed me to. I downloaded a new raspbian wheezy image, verified the sha1sum, then reimaged the SD card. Verified that the card has two partitions, and the first partition has bootcode.bin, loader.bin, start.elf, etc.

I boot the Pi. The red light comes on, the green light flashes once and then stops. Still no HDMI signal.

Next I tried replacing bootcode.bin, as the checklist suggests. This time the green LED flashes 3 times, waits, and then repeats. Still no HDMI. According to the checklist, that means the Pi can't find either loader.bin or start.elf, but probably it just means that the replacement bootcode.bin doesn't work.

I don't have any component video devices to test with. I've tried connecting the Pi to our LAN, but my router didn't detect any new device on the network.

So at this point, I still have a dead Pi. It's never worked since we got it. Can you suggest other troubleshooting steps?

Thanks,
Andrew.

andrex

Post by andrex »

Also - forgot to mention that the little bendable tab on one of the side panels of the Pi box, broke on the first day.

andrex

Re: new Raspberry Pi, no display (solved)

Post by andrex »

OK, I found the problem. I got the micro SD card out of my camera, flashed it, and installed it in the Pi. Now the Pi boots, and I have HDMI output.

So, I have two hardware defects: micro SD card, and a broken box side panel. May I have replacements for those please? I'm happy to send my current SD card back to you.

Andrew

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

please send an email to [email protected] and include the URL of this post.

thanks,
adafruit support

rob drizzle

Post by rob drizzle »

Sounds like you have this solved but FYI... A lesson I learned is that the Pi will not detect the HDMI Display if you turn the Pi on and then select the display's input. I thought that there was something wrong with my Pi because I was not getting any video when I selected the input after booting it up. I found out that the input needs to be selected before booting.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”