offset delay in midisync problem
Moderators: Altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, mome rath

Re: offset delay in midisync problem

by Palmer3 on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:12 pm

i've never had this problemImage
Palmer3

by dallegre on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:41 pm

I have the same problem. Have a x0xb0x synced to ableton with an mbf503 also attached via the midi though on the x0xb0x.

The mfb syncs up perfectly. Spot on every time with zero software delay necessary. The x0xb0x needs 30ms delay to sound right.

It's not the software. It's not the interface. It's the x0xb0x.

Reaper does the same thing. There's also no significant latency when sending midi notes to the x0x in "midi in play" mode or whatever it is. The sync latency is also constant over different tempos from the DAW. Updated to 1.05 and sokkos 1.9.1, still no dice.
dallegre

by jmejia on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 pm

I have the same problem with my x0xb0x and I'm NOT using software in my chain at all.

I get a delayed start (1 tick I think) from my octatrack - and/or from my mpc. The x0x is one tick behind which isn't super obvious at a normal (120-125sh) bpm.. but it is noticable, and when I chain drum machines off it it's VERY apparent. Example setup: octatrack master, midi clock out to x0xb0x, midi thru to a drum module, and din sync out of the x0x to tr808. The drum hits that are midi notes sent to the module are right on time with the octatrack, the x0x is slightly late, an the 808 is slightly late.. overlapping kick drums sound phasey at 130, flammed at 120, and a whole beat behind at much slower tempos.

I have seen posts all over the forum about this and people often blame software.. but something is wrong with the midi start receieve on the x0x. I've tried many different firmware - same problem on all of them. Currently I'm on the latest sokkos.

I'm super frustrated here - anyone have any knowledge on this?
jmejia

by aminoacid on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Just some random suggestions...

If using ableton, you have to choose the right midi setting (song/pattern) and midi delay compensate.

Try a different midi cable.

Try heating some solder joints ön some caps and resistors around the micro (i think this actually helpd Me once)
aminoacid

by jmejia on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:51 pm

I'm not using software.

This is a firmware problem. It's all over the forums. I'm not the only one. I don't see how reflowing solder would help a consistent 1 tick behind start issue.

This apparent consensus oversight is baffling me....
jmejia

by aminoacid on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Whats a tick?

Midi is built on soft and hardware so any cold solder joint can screw anything.

Im using sokkos and syncing with some hardware. Works god for many years.

But i do recall having some random issues. This prob had to do with old firmware and/or loose solder joints.
my machines kills fascists!
aminoacid

by antto on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:52 pm

yes, i suspect midisync has a bug with the start/stop and how it should behave according to what the MIDI specification is saying about it
but it's kinda hard for me to debug it at this stage
and even if the bug is fixed, it might not fit into sokkos since it uses every available byte from the flash space

this bug however is going to be hunted down in the CPU mod, since size is no excuse there
We are here too: irc.freenode.net >>> #x0xb0x
..:: c0nb0x v1.00 ::.. http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29282 (new control app - win/osx)
VCO Tuning: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=24759 (do it the EASY way)
antto